JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you soft top guys/girls live or work in a less than great part of town? Just wondering if you leave the top down all day and say to hell with it or does it go up and down more than a hyper acctive monkey on a pogostick.

I had some nice weather here (ST. Louis) all week. but my job is in a sketchy area and i ended up taking it down for the ride home just to put it back up befor bed (think i spent more time f-ing with it than i did with it down), so what do you folks do? Should i just alam up and call it a day?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had a soft top on my TJ and just made sure I didn't leave anything valuable in it. Left the top down all the time, everywhere I went. Even with the top up, I never locked the doors as I'd rather the thieves not slice the top to get in.

I had the instatrunk behind the rear seat so if I had something small I really wanted to leave in the Jeep and not get stolen, I'd lock it in there, but the rest of the jeep stayed unsecured.

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
Tuffy.... console and rear enclosure. Detachable radio and nothing out in the open, ever. Plus a two way alarm that has a few interesting features.

I usually go around with my upper half doors off anyway - nothing ever gets locked either, I don't want someone cutting the top or window uppers. There is no guarantee, do what you can.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx.. and i guess a follow up quetion would be do u ever leave your half doors in the back area with the top down im really more concerned with losing my half doors than anything else.

I know i sound parinoid but its allways the simple questions that i never ask and wish i did. :flame:

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
I keep the doors locked on mine just to keep the kids from screwing with it. If I was really concerned about it, I'd just leave the doors unlocked with the top up, and the top down as is. Keep nothing you'd get upset about in the Jeep if it was taken.

·
Registered
606 Posts
My company's office/warehouse is in a less than nice part of town. We have had turds climb the razor wire topped fence overnight to get to our parked vehicles. Though we leave them unlocked a handful of windows have been broken to get inside. Now we leave signs in the windows : This Vehicle is UNLOCKED. No more issues with broken windows.

Based on that experience I leave my Jeep as open as I dare based on the weather, so the turd who is going to try to steal knows its open and nothing worth stealing is in it. And doesn't cut the top! I have a lockable cover over the cargo area, no problems so far.

JPK

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Thanx.. and i guess a follow up quetion would be do u ever leave your half doors in the back area with the top down im really more concerned with losing my half doors than anything else.

I know i sound parinoid but its allways the simple questions that i never ask and wish i did. :flame:
I wouldn't leave the doors stashed in the back. Those are getting stolen even when they are on the Jeep. I'd at least get a set of hinge locks for those.

Otherwise, I leave NOTHING valuable or with my address on it in the Jeep. I even kept the cheap factory radio (even the crooks don't want that). My old YJ had been broken into several times, same as a few other cars. I eventually learned to just leave it unlocked and the center console/glove box essentially empty.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Soft top is not stopping anyone. I leave mine open to avoid cuts to the windows...

·
Registered
9,127 Posts

My uppers fit just right in the Tuffy enclosure. I can stash them back there and if the weather turns bad I can throw them back on pretty quick. We usually have afternoon showers in the summer so I will throw them on during the day (at work) then stash them for the ride home.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have always run a soft top and have had my top vandalized/stolen twice. Once in the parking lot of my old apartment where they slashed the top while the doors were unlocked (nothing stolen) and once within the security of my own garage where they just took the entire top! In both cases nothing was stolen. Just mindless vandalism to the top and theft. Either way I never leave valuables in the Jeep unless it is someplace like WalMart where they have security cameras. I make sure to park someplace where the cameras cover the spot and park close to the front. In such cases I lock the doors. If the top is vandalized and something stolen then I am covered by the security cams.

The point is...nothing will stop someone from being a dick if a dick is what they want to be. Just keep the top down but leave no valuables in the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My uppers fit just right in the Tuffy enclosure. I can stash them back there and if the weather turns bad I can throw them back on pretty quick. We usually have afternoon showers in the summer so I will throw them on during the day (at work) then stash them for the ride home.

Think i will leave the top down and just take the uppers into work with me not that big of a PITA (2door and got to have back seat for the kids so no room for that nice box). Thats what insurance is for right:dunno:

·
Registered
925 Posts
My .02 is that the soft top's windows are murely a deterant. If someone wanted to they can unzip or cut them and climb in anyways (I've unziped and climbed in on one occasion). I just try not to leave anything expensive in the Jeep period.

I wouldnt worry about it. Put the top down or windows off and forget about it. Keep the doors locked so that IF someone decides to crawl in the back and then try to go out the front, the alarm will go off. Maybe he'll get scared, panic, and drop your shit as he's running away?

Lastly, attempt to park in a busy/ high traffic area or under lights if @ night. Again, just a deterant. If some shady MOFO wants your shit, they're gonna get it, wether top and doors are on or off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.