JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2010 Unlimited Rubicon as a DD and love it. That said, I plan to lift it soon (probably 2.5") and go with 35's. I'd like to end up with a softer/smoother ride than the OEM. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
OME is known for a soft ride and they offer a 2.5" kit.
Skyjacker Hydros i have heard are very soft cushy shocks as well.....

·
Registered
343 Posts
The lift I am going to use is a teraflex 2.5 lift ( full lift, no spacers or anything. New shocks and springs) and what from I have read and heard their lift is as almost as smooth as OEM.

·
ADDICTION II build begins....
3,833 Posts
I would recommend if you are going with the Teraflex lift to go with at least the 3" instead of the 2.5" lift....the 3" lift actually measures out to almost 4" of lift. I knew someone who did a 2.5" lift and still didn't have enough clearance on the unlimited to go to through the same off-road areas as other unlimiteds with the 3-4" lifts. I had a 2 door with a Teraflex 2.5" spring/shock lift and sat higher than an unlimited with the Teraflex 2.5" lift and another unlimited with a Rubicon Express 3.5" lift.

Just my .02 worth.....I have the 3" Teraflex on my Rubi Unlimited and love it! No issues with clearing the same rigorous trails I went through with my 2 door....see BLUERUBI photo album to see some of the 2 door pictures and photo album under this name to see the 4 door pictures.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Good info.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
My advice is this: stay the HELL away from Rough Country- pure garbage.

That said, the shocks are going to be the biggest factor in ride comfort. Most of the springs will be around the same rate. Teraflex has rather smooth riding, softer shocks. I have had nothing but good dealings with them, and Carl is a big supporter on here, and will hook you up- Mark W.

·
ADDICTION II build begins....
3,833 Posts
Here is a picture of our old 2 Door JK Rubi with a 2.5" Teraflex Coil/Shock lift next to a 4 DR Unlimited X with 3.5" Jeep Installed Mopar Lift (Rubicon Express stickers still on it). The 2 Door is the one on the right....4 door is the one on the left. As you can see you will be better off with a Teraflex 3-4" lift on the 4 door in order to get the same clearance as guys with the 2 Dr running less lift.

Good luck on whatever you decide! :beer:

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
one other thing is to cosider the load range on your tires.

The higher the load range, the stronger the sidewall, but it will cause rougher ride as a dd.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I appreciate the guidance guys. I'll post some pix once I get it all installed. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
one other thing is to cosider the load range on your tires.

The higher the load range, the stronger the sidewall, but it will cause rougher ride as a dd.
This is a very good point- higher load rating tires have more carcass plies, which adds weight, which will generally make a tire ride rougher. C range is fine for a JK, D at the most- E is for the big boys :) Mark W.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
He's right, get the 3" kit. But make sure you get Bilstien 5100 series shocks. Best ride I've heard of. Also make sure you get an adjustable Trackbar for the front and the drop down trackbar bracket in the rear.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have an 07 Rubicon, mostly stock, and want a 2.5 inch lift as well. How much lift will a 2.5 Teraflex lift give me? (approximately.) Is there a quality lift that stays in the 2.5 to 3 inch. Metal cloak and Rock Krawler lift a light 2 door to at least 3 inches up to 3.5. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm really happy with my Teraflex 2.5" on my 2 Dr 2012 Rubi. Maybe it was my imagination but after I had it installed, I swear it both rode AND handled better. I figured those would be mutually exclusive. Must have the spring rates really dialed in or something.

EDIT:I didn't measure before & after so I'm not sure exactly what how far it lifted... Sorry.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
180 Posts
Sorry about piggy backing on a dead thread, I didn't look at the date. This is my first time on a form and I did a search and this thread came up...
As far as Metalcloak, I'm running their lower front control arms and love them. My problem with their 2.5 lift is it will set my JK 3 - 3.5. I'm trying to stay lower.

·
Registered
249 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts