JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 32" Duratracs are starting to get a bit worn and I want to go bigger. My budget is limited ( college kid), so buying a Dana 44 for the front is out of the question.

95% of my driving is on road. Its my daily. Even when I do wheel, its only light trails and some mud. No heavy rock crawling or anything.

Ive heard people say 35"s are suicide.

Others have said sleeve and gusset.

Others say do nothing. Strengthening everything else will make the ring and pinion the weak link, which is a more expensive repair.

So what is most accurate?

Would 35"s on a stock Dana 30 be safe.?

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Whether 30 or 44, beefing up the tubes and knuckles is a good mod.

Other than that, considering your intended use, I wouldn't worry about the strength of the axle.

Those that claim the 30 will self destruct merely by touching the t-case lever have been fooled by the offroad mags into thinking a 60 is needed for any type of wheeling. The 30 isn't exactly a beefy axle, and it suffers from relatively thin tubes and flexy knuckles, but the actual r&p is beefed up from old style 30s, which last fairly well under moderate wheeling and large tires and lockers. Sure older jeeps weren't as heavy, and therefore didn't put the stress on the axle as much as the JKs do, but it's still no means a throwaway axle for every use.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
Do it.

Search... educate yourself.

And you will most likely be just fine. Just understand that the potential that something bad will happen will increase with the extra weight on the ends. That potential can go up or down depending on how you drive it and what you do to strengthen it.

·
Premium Member
2,805 Posts
check out my garage. Been running this way for 3 years and wheeling my rig often. Works great.

·
Registered
840 Posts
C gussets and you should be fine. Start doing more wheeling and I'd think about sleeving the outside of the tubes

·
Registered
720 Posts
Those that claim the 30 will self destruct merely by touching the t-case lever have been fooled by the offroad mags into thinking a 60 is needed for any type of wheeling. The 30 isn't exactly a beefy axle, and it suffers from relatively thin tubes and flexy knuckles, but the actual r&p is beefed up from old style 30s, which last fairly well under moderate wheeling and large tires and lockers. Sure older jeeps weren't as heavy, and therefore didn't put the stress on the axle as much as the JKs do, but it's still no means a throwaway axle for every use.
X2. The Tj guys have been running dana 30 with 35 37 forever with success. All axles can break. Nothing is unbreakable. I beat the hell out of my Dana 30 with 35" and a selectable locker then with 33" and a full time locker and then with a trutrac LSD. Sure I broke a few axle shafts but then I put Rcvs in it and that stopped that. Sure I broke a few 5.13 ring and pinions but then I put my 4.10's back in and that solved that problem. All I had done to it was the Rock Krawler axle truss and the lower control arm skids. That axle was used for hard wheeling since 07 when i bought it and even harder for a few years of competing at Rausch Creek. The axle now is being used by one of Rock Krawlers employee's for his build. They are not as weak as some will have you believe.

Don Broadbent
BMJA president
http://www.bmja.org/home.php

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm...so it would seem 35s are a fairly safe choice.

I think I am going to go for it. :D

If it breaks, Ill throw my bald 32s back on and take it to the dealer. After all, its under warranty. :thefinger:

·
Registered
793 Posts
Hmm...so it would seem 35s are a fairly safe choice.

I think I am going to go for it. :D

If it breaks, Ill throw my bald 32s back on and take it to the dealer. After all, its under warranty. :thefinger:
I've had 35s on mine for about 2 years now and I am locked with ARBs front and rear. I've only broken a rear axle shaft :)

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
35s, PJ backbone brace, upper/lower c gussets, control arm skids. 513 gears getting put in and I may add a Yukon Grizzly or Aussie up front. So far I havent had any issues, but I havent beat on it very much either.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I'm new to the whole build-up thing as well but...

35's are on mine now and I'll be in the same situation as you, 90 - 95% road. I'll be sleeving and gusseting the D30 and buying a locker (not necessary for you unless you want it).

I started a thread HERE and received a lot of different replies. But I switched my budget.

From what I have read, even aside from this thread, a lot of people have ran the D30 off road in some rough stuff frequently with larger tires than 35's.

Stay light on the gas offroad I was told.

·
Registered
12 Posts
X2. The Tj guys have been running dana 30 with 35 37 forever with success. All axles can break. Nothing is unbreakable. I beat the hell out of my Dana 30 with 35" and a selectable locker then with 33" and a full time locker and then with a trutrac LSD.
I'm another one of those TJ guys. I ran a set of 36" Interco TSLs on a Dana 30 with a lockright locker for 3 years. I only broke one axle shaft in that time, but I ran mine very hard with little regard for the vehicle. The wheeling you described will be no problem.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the help guys. Look like I will likely be going with 35s.

When I get them though, Ill have to control my somewhat "spirited drving." :D

My 32"Duratracs only have 11k miles on them and theyre already about 50% tread left.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Damn, thought the duratracs had more life than that. You'll be happy with 35s, been running 35s over 3 years with no real issues. 5.13s and gussets and calling it good. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know people running 40's with the D30 with no problems...hard impacts and spinning tires grabbing traction is what hurts axles gussets help but I don't worry about mine after talking to one of the engineers who designed the NEW GEN D30 and he said it is stronger than people think and converting to a 60 is really not needed for wheeling like most people do even rock crawling will not hurt it unless you seriously abuse it...hard on mine and no troubles (yet) just my .02

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Got 60k miles out of 37's
bent rear axle, but not front. Off roading a little....
But I have been running 5.13's from the start

Put 42's on 5 weeks ago. Still no problems. (42's rub at full turn on the frame)

I have a 6" long arm lift, and 1.25 body lift on a 2 dr. :)

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I know people running 40's with the D30 with no problems...hard impacts and spinning tires grabbing traction is what hurts axles gussets help but I don't worry about mine after talking to one of the engineers who designed the NEW GEN D30 and he said it is stronger than people think and converting to a 60 is really not needed for wheeling like most people do even rock crawling will not hurt it unless you seriously abuse it...hard on mine and no troubles (yet) just my .02
You spoke with one of the engineers who designed it? Really? He design the ball joints as well? Hahahaha

·
Registered
46 Posts
I ran 35s on my 97 tj. Ran through deep water, palmettos, trails, limestone rocks, mud, 70-80mph, anything. Never any problems and it didnt take it easy! This was my daily driver.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Parked next to a 2012 JKU on campus yesterday. Had what looked to be a 3" lift and was sitting on 35x12.50x17 Pro Comp Xtreme A/Ts on Pro Comp 7028 wheels.

Now I'm convinced I need 35s. :D

This guy was running the spare on the stock carrier though. Not sure I'd want to do that....

How hard must an impact be to risk damage? I live in Northeast PA, which is the pothole capital of the country. lol

I've hit some that make your butthole pucker. Would running around with big ol 35s be a risk even on road? (Which is where my JK spends 95% of its time)

Got 60k miles out of 37's
bent rear axle, but not front. Off roading a little....
But I have been running 5.13's from the start

Put 42's on 5 weeks ago. Still no problems. (42's rub at full turn on the frame)

I have a 6" long arm lift, and 1.25 body lift on a 2 dr. :)
42s??? On a Dana 30?!?!?! :eek:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts