JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still researching a 2012 Wrangler 2 door. What exactly is in the tow package?

From their site it seems like a hitch (anyone know what Class?), Flat 4 connector, and the computer programming. Costs $270 as an option.

Just wondering as I can get a Class III hitch and wiring harness off Amazon for $160 or so and put it on myself. Also keep seeing used hitches for as cheap as $50. The computer programming that awesome/useful/lifesaving/etc? Anything else I'm missing?
I have a single axle 5x8 utility trailer I use for "I don't have a pickup anymore" hauling duties.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
just noticed this in the Quadratec catalog this morning...

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12015_1009_07.htm

seems like a good deal compared to the $270 from the dealer, not sure what programming is involved...maybe different shift points in the auto?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Supposed to be something with the stability control and brake pulsing to counter sway.

Think the dealer setup is an actual hitch. I'm not so hot on those bolt-to-the-bumper hitches. Dunno why though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stiffer back springs and standard 4:10 Rear axle ratio.
Not in a 2012. 4.10's are Rubi only. You have to pay $50 and select another option to get 3.73's on the 2 door Sports.

Anybody confirmed that the tow package on the 2012's gives stiffer rear springs? Seen that mentioned many times but no one can confirm it.

·
Registered
11,028 Posts
Supposed to be something with the stability control and brake pulsing to counter sway.

Think the dealer setup is an actual hitch. I'm not so hot on those bolt-to-the-bumper hitches. Dunno why though.
That bolts to the cross bar and is an exact copy of the factory hitch.

If you want it flashed it would probably cost about the same in the long run. My dealer charges $90 for them.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I believe the tow package also includes a stabilizer to minimize the potential sway forces from a trailer.

Still..Dealer prices are far above aftermarket (same thing) parts.

·
Registered
199 Posts
$69.99 factory style hitch and $9.99 wiring harness and I'm happy as a lark now. Works great with my 5x7" utility trailer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.