JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Banned
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the questions I am trying to figure out does the 4 DR JK look better with or without the tire. Some people say leave it or it looks one way or another and without a face your better off having that spare on hand. But as a stariaght of sweet looking rig W/5TH TIRE OR WITHOU?

· Registered
1,043 Posts
I say with...

It just looks natural to have the spare on the back of a Jeep, As long as the spare matches the other 4 tires!

· Registered
67 Posts
I say with...

It just looks natural to have the spare on the back of a Jeep, As long as the spare matches the other 4 tires!
Ditto, without the tire it looks like an engineering mistake.

· Premium Member
8,890 Posts
Why be concerned with the "looks" factor. Everyone will have an opinion about how it looks, but who cares? The reason(s) to keep it there or stow it inside should relate to-

visibility- Does it bother you or make you uncomfortable backing up/ driving, and having the loss of visibility back there? If it is a stock spare, then probably not too bad, but if/ when you upgrade to a full size spare, you will lose a lot of visibility.

off-roading- With an Unlimited on tight trails, steep climbs. etc...that spare can really hang-up on things and cause damage to the bumper or tire carrier. If it digs into the ground, it can be the difference between making it through an obstacle or having to be winched out. Again- stock spare not as bad as a 35" or 37" tire.

stowage- Do you have the space inside the jeep to relocate it there? If you don't keep a-lot of stuff in the jeep, then you may consider just putting it inside.

I love having mine not hanging off the back. I keep my 35" spare inside the back of my 2 door with all my trail tools and recovery equip and still have room for a cooler, spare parts, back-packs, etc. I love looking in my rear-view and having a full view of whats going on behind me, and no longer dragging the spare over ledges and into trees.

JMO- but consider those aspects over the "looks" point of view.

· Registered
78 Posts
I have one on and one off. And i like it off just as much.I have the block off plate on mine and it looks GREAT! When i go out of town it goes in the reciver hitch when i get back it comes off,:)

· Premium Member
8,890 Posts
FWIW- Don't ever drive anywhere (on or off-road) with no spare at all. If the question regards simply leaving the spare out of the equation all together, you are just asking for headaches. If you can't relocate it, then by all means- leave it on the back. Don't leave home without a spare.

· Registered
1,119 Posts
I have seen the spare even on a roof rack and thats kewl too. I say with, but I do agree that sometimes like the others have said, its not practical hanging on the back.

Its your Jeep, do what pleases YOU!..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.