JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Heat'n and a beat'n...
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never been, but i want to go. I have no idea where to go. I know that i want to stay at a place where i can walk out of my room and onto a lift or slope or whatever. Anyone have any suggestions?

corey d

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
In terms of something "close" to you, and not as expensive as some resorts, Apache/ Ruidoso NM is pretty nice. I also like Squaw Valley CA, Lake Tahoe CA/ NV, and one of the best.....Steamboat Springs CO. Breckenridge CO, Aspen/ Snowmass CO, and Vail CO are supposed to be really nice too although I have never been to those resorts. In the east, the most recognized is probably Killington VT, but there are also some lesser known, less expensive, and equally inviting places such as Kissing Bridge, Holiday Valley, and Cockaigne in NY. Holiday Valley is really a lot of fun- been there many times, and is a nice mix of various ability terrain, fewer crowds, and a lot less expense in accommodations. Keep in mind that the west is known for it's deep powder and seemingly endless runs, whereas in the east it is generally more corn and packed powder conditions, but still very exciting. If you are a beginner, I really don't recommend deep powder conditions anyway- not the best learning environment imo.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Flagstaff is having a pretty good winter...but if your going to travel you gotta come to CO It'll blow your mind. Breck is amazing but you can't go wrong with Aspen or steamboat or loveland or winterpark...you get the idea, Colorado is the shit when it comes to big hills and lots of the white stuff

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Heavenly in Tahoe is straight out of your hotel into the gondola or a short walk depending on which hotel you choose. Pretty decent for new skiers.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Breck is a good place if you've never been but want to experience a mountian. Its got a lot of fairly flat green and blue runs for you to learn on and good extreme stuff too towards the top if you want to get all crazy, or you can 'lick the devils crotch'. I like mr toads wild ride.. smile ear to ear... fun party town too and lots of condos at the base of the mountian.

·
Heat'n and a beat'n...
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the good info fellas. What about over there where they are having the olympics? Anyone know anything about that place?

corey d

·
Registered
431 Posts
Nothing compares to whistler, I went there a few years ago and it blew my mind. From the mountain you can see the ocean its sooooo sick. If your going to travel a long way definitly go to BC.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey, I live in so louisiana too.Lafayette. Skiing is great. I ski almost yearly and usually go to colorado. Copper and steamboat is great places to learn.

·
Heat'n and a beat'n...
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey, I live in so louisiana too.Lafayette. Skiing is great. I ski almost yearly and usually go to colorado. Copper and steamboat is great places to learn.
Oh shit, Louisiana is starting to take over JKO.:laughing: Next thinkg you know, we will reach double digits.:laughing: Oh, snow skiing, yeah, im going to go next year.....somewhere. Good info guys, keep it coming.

corey d

·
Registered
44 Posts
Jackson Hole, WY is supposed to be one of the best. Park City, UT. Aspen/Snowmass, CO is great also.

·
Registered
980 Posts
First time I went west - it was in Colorado. Stayed in the Dillon / Frisco area. Close to Keystone, Copper, Breckenridge and Aprahoe Basin. Awesome skiing and unbelievable beautiful area.

Also not far from Vail - best skiing ever!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
First time I went west - it was in Colorado. Stayed in the Dillon / Frisco area. Close to Keystone, Copper, Breckenridge and Aprahoe Basin. Awesome skiing and unbelievable beautiful area.

Also not far from Vail - best skiing ever!!
that's the same area i stayed in and it is great how close you are to a ton of different resorts.

·
Registered
647 Posts
If you got the time to travel far, you will never froget Whistler BC. The best place I've ever been too. Its amazing. And i live in the middle of ski country colorado. Jackson hole is amazing but very very limited to begginer terrain.

But yeah...the Village in whistler will keep you busy the entire trip when your apres

1 - 20 of 35 Posts