JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this old 1958 mailbox at the local metal scrapyard. It was faded green with yellow letters on it but is unreadable. I think it may have been on a military base.??? I have and idea to turn it into a smoker with two racks in the bottom section and an oven for pizzas/bread in the top area. I just need to make a door with vents and a stack that goes through the top section sealed off to make it work. A little paint and I will have a custom smoker.

Any other ideas or suggestions from all you grilling/smoking connoisseurs?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I think i'd take out that top shelf. The curve of that thing is about perfect to aid in convection. If you want a solid shelf for pizzas, I'd make it removable. I think I'd also make an upper and lower door if you want to go the extra work. It will allow you to stoke the fire at the bottom while allowing heat at the top to stay in.

Awesome find and killer idea! Keep us updated!

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think i'd take out that top shelf. The curve of that thing is about perfect to aid in convection. If you want a solid shelf for pizzas, I'd make it removable. I think I'd also make an upper and lower door if you want to go the extra work. It will allow you to stoke the fire at the bottom while allowing heat at the top to stay in.

Awesome find and killer idea! Keep us updated!
Yes, I intend to make two doors. The bottom rectangle will open to the right and the top C shape will drop down. I will just use small chains to let it drop level with the shelf.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I'd leave the top shelf, but maybe cut the center out of it and replace with expanded metal for baked potatoes, corn on the cob, grilled onions and so on.
Thanks for all the comments and ideas.:thankyou:
Yes, I will make my shelves in the bottom with angle iron at various heights so I can vary the distance from the fire box. I will use removable expanded metal racks to slide in for smoking or grilling. I think I will make the firebox in the bottom removable also for easier clean out. If I make the firebox removable I can move the firebox up in the bottom section to make the oven area easier to heat. A thermometer in each section to keep track of things too.

I think also that I can build a smoke stack on the side that looks like a envelope drop. To keep the mailbox look. I might try to find some old mailbox pics to see how they used to paint them.
Still thinking...:)
Like this only a little smaller profile.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I'd leave the top shelf, but maybe cut the center out of it and replace with expanded metal for baked potatoes, corn on the cob, grilled onions and so on.
That works.

·
CalmerThanYouAre
9,377 Posts
Man that has some great potential. Nice find.:beer:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Good Idea

Good luck with the project. I doubt if that is from a military base. It looks like one of the old collection boxes. The post office used to put those out in certain areas, so the local mailman could put in letters and packages that he picked up, and then someone from the post office would come by and empty it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.