JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Smittybuilt xrc-8 winch are the biggest piece of shit. I always buy Warn winches but my Son bought a Jeep and wanted a affordable winch for him. He bought the Smittybuilt xrc-8 winch. It has had 3 solinoid packs and they told me that I needed the X20 winch and we live in California. They did not make the X20 winch at the time. Warn did not make the VR winches at the time.Just letting you know so you don't wast your money on a winch that won't pull you out sometimes.!!!!!! I think they should name it Shittybuilt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
This will turn into a "well mine..." thread; so might as well.

Thus far I've had my XRC12 for a year, pulled a Jeep sideways some and back over onto it's wheels, winched myself up a few difficult spots, no hiccups with it. I can guarantee the quality/quality control isn't near Warn, but some of them do pretty decent.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have the xrc10. I have had it 2 seasons and have used it a dozen times in moderate to serious recoveries and about another dozen times at least in little "trail tugs".

So far I haven't had a problem other than the seals leaking at the gear box. I repack my gears about every 4-5 uses just to be safe.

Down my list of future mods is a warn 9.5 ti. Not because my shittybilt ha failed me yet, just because I know it's inevitable.

It's like harbor freight tools, (aside from their impact sockets) you use them once or twice and toss them in the spare tools bin.

It's cheap.

It's Chinese.

You get what you pay for which is limited use, not longevity.

·
Registered
865 Posts
"well mine" XRC-8 has been used several times in 3 years. Not so much as a hiccup and of course it may not work the next time I need it. Sorry you are having problems. My last Warn was used 4 times in maybe 4 years, it quit the last time I used it. Shit happens.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Ooh good find.

I was just gonna dip mine in tool dip lol.
Hmm, well that'd do it as well. When I service the gears I plan on pulling my solenoid apart and poking around. If it looks rough I'll buy another and use what I have as a spare. I would seal the new one up right out of the box.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I have been running and XRC-8 for 3 years now. I have used it no less than 12 times and no problems. You have to make sure you wind up the steel cable right after you use or that could become a problem but as far as the pull...no issues.
It isn't as fast as a Warn but I would buy another one in a second and use the extra $600+ I would have spent on a Warn for something else!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I've had mine for almost 2 years and never had a problem with it.
I've actually seen more Warn winches not work than any other brands out there.

I got the Lifetime No Questions Asked Warranty for like $25 from 4WD.
Unless Warn can step up and offer something like that, I'll stick with my "Chinese Shittybuilt" that hasn't ever let me down.

·
Registered
93 Posts
ive been looking into one of these. My cousin has one on his Jeep and hasnt failed him for 2 years. He did do the same as above and pulled it apart and sealed it better. Ive seen just as many if not more of the higher priced winches fail as the "shittybilt".

·
Registered
269 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I've had mine 2 years, numerous submersions in water and mud. Still works.
The solenoid box looks ugly because I cut a hole to fit my lights. Eventually I'll relocate it somewhere under the hood.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
From the taco site, I was just thinking after reading it but I would think that you would want a high temp marine grade silicone due to the electrical contacts getting so hot. Just my thoughts though.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
From the taco site, I was just thinking after reading it but I would think that you would want a high temp marine grade silicone due to the electrical contacts getting so hot. Just my thoughts though.
Just about every RTV will handle engine temps as well as underhood temps. I doubt you'd have an issue. Orange hitemp RTV can be used on exhaust manifolds, surely high temp enough.

·
Registered
10,289 Posts
i've had a few winches....

smittybuilt XRC8
Smittybuilt XRC 10
smittybuilt XRC8 comp
warn M8000
Warn 8274
Ramsey REP 8000
Superwinch x9
magnum 9k
tabor 9k
Warn 9.5ti
Mile marker 8,000 lb
chicago electric 8,000 lb

out of those winches i've replaced:
2 silonoids on the M8000, and the motor was on it's way out
the motor on the 8274 (which was older)
i blew the milemarker apart. literally. was replaced under warrenty.
smittybuilt's old style winch control port corroded and they sent me a new one
i burned up the motor in the tabor

notice a trend in which brand i had to repair more? It could be use or it could be coincidence. But i ended up working on my warns more than any other i've owned.

I still think warn makes the nicest winches. But these cheap little smittybuilts have really held up for me and my friends that run them.

Hell, i'd trade my current superwinchx9 with synth for a xrc10 with synth. that's how much i liked them.

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
Sure its rolling the dice buying a cheaper winch. But in 3 years I have only had to use mine twice and both times it never let me down. The 1st time I had to pull a full size blazer out of a bad obstacle and it never faltered on me. I would rather save the money and spend it on something else.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Pulled another Jeep fine twice.
didn't survive a NY winter.
Yes, part was my fault for not covering it...but c'mon! Can't things be built a little tougher these days?

somewhere along the line, the solenoid shorted and caused the winch to wind backward, fouling the line pretty bad and kinking it.

It's sitting on my workbench...waiting til I have the time and energy to tear it down, grease it up, and clean the salt and corrosion off the case.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update, uptraded to the X20. Costed 100.00 more all water tite fittings on the box. It had a 50.00 mail in rebate, so i guess you could say 50.00 more.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts