JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do they work as good as the Staun's at roughtly half the cost? I am wanting to hear from actual people who own the new smittybilt inflators. I see quadratec carries them in addition to Staun. I don't give a shit that the Smittybilt is China made because the Stauns aren't USA either. Aussie I believe. Anyone here with experience with these?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
151 Posts
Wow - very bad reviews - your question is well timed - I'm looking at picking up some deflators too, but will stay away from Smitty... seems like the more I learn about them, the less I like 'em. I've bought lots of stuff from them before, and the only thing I still have are some grab handles and the cab cover...

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Chinese knockoffs.

So you have a decision to make.

Buy cheaply made knockoffs and continue to support the Chinese black market economy.

Buy a quality accessory from a successful Aussie company committed to producing high quality components.

:beer:

edit: as of late, if it even looks like it came from China, I don't buy it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I went with Trail Head deflators. They work well and I have not had an issue with them so far. I bought them off of a vendor on Pirate for $55 (you also get a choice of colors).

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=794836&highlight=

Another benefit of the Trail Head is that you can actually leave them on when you wheel if you want.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I've got them. They don't work well at all. Set the PSI on them and they don't retain it well. Sometimes they let out more air, sometimes less. I would've gone for Stauns but I got these as a gift so I put 'em to use.

Really, it's on par with just about every other Smitty product. Cheap and it kinda works (and made in China). You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Chinese knockoffs.

So you have a decision to make.

Buy cheaply made knockoffs and continue to support the Chinese black market economy.

Buy a quality accessory from a successful Aussie company committed to producing high quality components.

:beer:

edit: as of late, if it even looks like it came from China, I don't buy it.
that really limits what you can buy these days

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
i have them to , also got as a gft from the wife, they work ok, like someone else said they dont hold the setting well, but it get me close enough

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
ok I will play devils advocate here. I have the smitty ones and I havent had a bad experience like others are reporting. Yes they do take a lot of time and patience to set up, but I have found that once they are locked in (I mean really crank that locking ring) I havent had any issues with the setting. As far as not being consistant, I have experienced this but my issue is that they sometimes dont let out enough air. I simply give the stem a slight tug/flick and they finish up the job as intended. That being said yes they are half the price and yes you do get what you pay for. Keep in mind I dont claim to have any exerience with the stauns so I cant compare apples to apples just giving my opinion on the smitty ones. Are you such a hardcore wheeler that 2-4 PSI is going to ruin your day? Im not, so they work perfectly fine for me. If you want my advise grab a set of them if ya dont like them either keep in your bag as a backup or put them up on here someone will snatch them up.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I tried to buy the Stauns about a year ago, but my local shop just couldn't get them (backordered he said). So I went with the ARB valve puller. It has the integral gauge, and it is only as consistant as my ability to operate it.

I like it.

scottrock :laughing: you forgot the phrase evil, job stealing, money grabbing commies.:D

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
ok I will play devils advocate here. I have the smitty ones and I havent had a bad experience like others are reporting. Yes they do take a lot of time and patience to set up, but I have found that once they are locked in (I mean really crank that locking ring) I havent had any issues with the setting. As far as not being consistant, I have experienced this but my issue is that they sometimes dont let out enough air. I simply give the stem a slight tug/flick and they finish up the job as intended. That being said yes they are half the price and yes you do get what you pay for. Keep in mind I dont claim to have any exerience with the stauns so I cant compare apples to apples just giving my opinion on the smitty ones. Are you such a hardcore wheeler that 2-4 PSI is going to ruin your day? Im not, so they work perfectly fine for me. If you want my advise grab a set of them if ya dont like them either keep in your bag as a backup or put them up on here someone will snatch them up.
Having lockers on mine front and rear I just plain prefer them to be equal on tire pressure when i'm locked. 4psi difference would bother me. Probably doesn't make any difference, I want things equal when the front and rear axles are locked in. :beer:

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I tried to buy the Stauns about a year ago, but my local shop just couldn't get them (backordered he said). So I went with the ARB valve puller. It has the integral gauge, and it is only as consistant as my ability to operate it.

I like it.

scottrock :laughing: you forgot the phrase evil, job stealing, money grabbing commies.:D
Oh yeah, that too :thefinger:

FWIW, I've tried to use an ARB quick deflator/gauge thingy a couple times and I don't know if I just wasn't holdin my mouth right or what but I have not been able to get it to unscrew the valves on both OEM TPMS and standard valve stems...:beer:

·
Registered
397 Posts
It took a total of one time trying to get the shitty's set and they went back in the pouch permanently. I use a Currie EZ deflator now and it kicks ass!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry for the bump...just my two cents.
Basically, there is a set screw and a valve inside each deflator. You either tighten or loosen the set screw to the desired psi. They come pre set (~18psi), and each turn of the screw relates to a certain amount of psi. 3psi for each turn (approx)

The best idea is to use one tire and set your set of deflators. To do this
- you screw the deflator onto the valve stem
- depending upon where the deflator is presently set the deflator will either begin to deflate or you might have to pull the plunger out to start deflating
- check regularly the psi until you get to the psi you want
- screw down the set screw to stop deflation
- tighten locking screw and your done
- reinflate tire and repeat process with each deflator until you have done all four.

Now you will have one set that is set at a particular psi

Having another set, you can repeat the process for a different psi setting.

Now within that, you can also purchase Stauns https://mechanicguides.com/best-tire-deflators/ in three different psi ranges...

Light duty 0-10psi
Stndard duty 6-30psi (this is the one most 4x4 people use) - I'd like to two sets of these
Heavy Duty 15-55psi

1 - 19 of 19 Posts