JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really liked the looks of these steps so after researching and finding out that they fit pretty good other than the holes needed to be slotted I decided to order a set. I went to install them and they don't fit worth a shit. One side is so fucked up that I can only get 3 out of 4 body mount nuts on and the tube is only about 1/16" away from rubbing on the rocker in the center. I sent off an email to Smittybilt to see what they say but unless they make it right than I will never buy anything from them again. :mad:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Seems to be about the norm. I had the rocker guards on my 10 and they were a pain in the ass to get mounted. I'm planning on them again on my 12 and I'll just hope to luck out. If I could find anything within $100 that looked 1/2 as good I'd get them instead, but I haven't yet.

This seems to be true of all their stuff. My XRC front bumper didn't fit right either on my 10. I went with the RR XHD on this one and the fit is 10x better.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It wasn't even the price that made me choose these, I liked the way they looked and my wife was big on having a step to make it easier for her to get in.

·
ADDICTION II build begins....
3,833 Posts
I had those as well before.....you have to drill out the front two holes (one on each side) to get them to line up. To get the fronts secured, I used regular socket (not a deep well) with an extension....took a lot of $%^#&#*@(@ but I finally got them on there! :laughing:

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I have installed two sets. On mine and my friend Merediths jeep.

The trick is, install one nut, super loose, either the front or rear outside nut, then wiggle and shake the other side till it pops in, install nut, then tighten them all up.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The thing is I have the hole slotted so far forward on the passenger side the nut won't fit, the nut hits the front part of the mounting bracket. Besides none of that helps with the fact that the tube is basically touching the rocker. I have been a diesel mechanic for ten years so this isn't my first time making something work, the set I received are just that far out.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Yep, mine came in last week and I did a test fit. Some modification will need to be done to the body mount rims. Wasn't surprised bc I read up on them and knew to expect some issues. But as mentioned the look is great and the price is worth it.

That being said, I have experienced nothing but poor fitment with most of my smittybilt items. They need to put more pride into their R&D and manufacturing.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going to be taking them off, was looking at it closer after driving over to a friends house and it rubbed the paint off the rocker about 3/8" long. I will take pics before they come off so I can send smittybilt some pics if I hear back from them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Already did that, I figure I will do some cutting and welding on them to see if I can make it work since I'm not out anything.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts