JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am debating between the Smittybilt or Mopar hardtops but the Smittybilt is nearly impossible to find any info on. Has anyone put one on their rig? I like that it has a carpeted interior and no rear wiper... Mopar may provide a better fit but I could just be speaking out of my arse.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I buy smitty for one reason, it is cheap so when I beat it and it breaks or wears out I get another smitty product! I M too cheap so I look at this like a lease!

Any product I want quality on I make sure I buy quality. So my vote is mopar! :shitstorm:

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I'm probably not the best salesman on this. I just don't get excited by hardtops just to oooh and ahhh over them. I look at a hardtop and go "hmm, there's something to keep the wet and cold off me and it's quieter than a soft top".

Haven't sold any of the Keystone tops since they parted brands, but it's still the same as the Bestop when it was under that brand. Quality was as good as factory.

The Smitty was surprisingly nice. I have a little concern with the design as far as whether water would pool on the flattop roof surface (Keystone is ridged) and degrade it over the long term, but that difference in design is what would make this likely the slightly quieter top. Viewing area is pretty much the same as on the Keystone.

Keep in mind, I'm not doing a side-by-side comparison. Just observations from seeing them at two different points in time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's the sort of info I've been looking for. I only asked for pics because I wanted to see some photos of one that weren't the photos taken by the company in a studio... Also wanted a real opinion from someone who actually owns one of the Smittybilt tops or has seen them up close and personal. Thanks again for your input Chris.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Anytime man! Sorry I don't have any pics to show, just my two cents on them. One of the advantages of being in the industry is getting to play with toys occasionally, lol. Another one to consider (and this is one we don't sell) is the Wild Boar one. Pretty neat looking. I know there were some fitment issues with them in early production, but haven't heard anything negative lately. I think a couple of guys here on JKO have it, so they may be able to give you some first hand info.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got a Smittybilt for my Sahara....it leaks so bad its impossible to give it a good review. Do a search on Smittybilt Safari Hard Tops. I had mine sent to a shop and they've had my Jeep for over a month. Can't get it to seal. Stay away!!! I'm now working on getting my money back as I got the rack also. Its been an expensive mess.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Haven't heard much anything good come out of smitty. usually it's just ehh it was cheap what'd you expect or just flat it terrible. I vote Mopar but I have no experience with either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts