JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Viair compressor finally just gave up the ghost after a hard 5 years! Lasted a long time! I was at 4 wheel parts the other day getting a new hi-lift jack and I saw the Smittybilt 2781 compressor and was on sale for 129.99. It claims 5.65 cfm I doubted it.. But I finally tried it out today and this thing seems awesome. Time will tell, but it is quick and its WAYYYY more quiet than my Viair 450c was. Seem REALLY well built, everything is metal too except for the small end cap where the on/off switch is. Came with a nice storage bag, has nice quick disconnects, a base for portable use, comes with a slinky style hose and a pretty decent air chuck with gauge. All in all seemed like a great deal. Like I said, time will tell though!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh but for the record, I will be going to a Viair extreme duty kit this summer sometime, I just needed a compressor to get me by next week! I think the 5 years the Viair held up with neglect and zero maintenance says a lot! Just wanted to clear that up! haha

·
Registered
2,961 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried the smittybilt out today on a 35/12.50 r17 I hate to admit it, but its a lot quicker than my viair was... BUT the viair was also constant duty where this only has like a 40 min run time before it needs a break. Not like i will be using it 40 mins straight all the time anyways but....
No I have no experience with the MV-50, but smittybilts 2780 which is the little brother to the one i bought is on sale for like 69.00 at most places and is rated at iike 2.64 cfm or something.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Just wanted to see how this compressor has stood up for you over time! I'm looking at getting this one or the Warn Air Power SPC or the Super Flow MV90

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Q Industries MV50 SuperFlow Hi-Volume Air Compressor

i have had this for 4yrs.. it has been a great little compressor.. it's filled my 35's and in some cases filled a couple other jeeps... the only thing that i've had to do was reconnect the wiring, it came off after a trailride last year..

·
Research, bro!
2,220 Posts
Just wanted to see how this compressor has stood up for you over time! I'm looking at getting this one or the Warn Air Power SPC or the Super Flow MV90
5.65 cfm is pretty impressive if holds that claim. I've had the MV-90 rated at 3.71 cfm for about six months. Love it so far for the $131 I paid for it. The hose connection and compressor itself gets pretty hot after 5+ tires (helping friends out). But because of it's speed compared to others I ride with, it gets passed around quite a bit. 13 - 30 psi is about 2:30 minutes average for four 37" KM2s.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
5.65 cfm is pretty impressive if holds that claim. I've had the MV-90 rated at 3.71 cfm for about six months. Love it so far for the $131 I paid for it. The hose connection and compressor itself gets pretty hot after 5+ tires (helping friends out). But because of it's speed compared to others I ride with, it gets passed around quite a bit. 13 - 30 psi is about 2:30 minutes average for four 37" KM2s.
Can you tell me the duty cycle on the MV90? Also where did you get it for 130.00 bucks if you don't mind? That's a great deal!

·
Research, bro!
2,220 Posts
Can you tell me the duty cycle on the MV90? Also where did you get it for 130.00 bucks if you don't mind? That's a great deal!
Duty cycle: 67% (20 minute rest per 40 minute run time - 40 minute max continuous run time)

www.lowrangeoffroad.com - they are (or were when I got it) a pirate4x4 vendor.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Duty cycle: 67% (20 minute rest per 40 minute run time - 40 minute max continuous run time)

www.lowrangeoffroad.com - they are (or were when I got it) a pirate4x4 vendor.
Excellent, thanks for the info! I just checked that vendor and the price is the same but there is a 18.00 shipping charge which when you consider the cost isn't that bad! Thanks again! Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts

Great Deal? I bought mine back when I had my TJ, have had it for about 6 years now. When they first burst onto the market, they were only $39. After word traveled around Jeepforum the price went up. But I've seen them for a lot cheaper than 130... Look on Amazon.

Ohh yeah, and it's a workhorse. I fill my tires, and my friends rigs up when their compressors fail. My friend had a goodyear on board air compressor installed from some off road shop. Never heard of a goodyear compressor before this. First time out, he pops a hose and can't use it. Next time, his compressor overheated after filling the first tire. I think he said he paid about $300 for that setup. Get's pissed when he has to borrow my $40 compressor...

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Great Deal? I bought mine back when I had my TJ, have had it for about 6 years now. When they first burst onto the market, they were only $39. After word traveled around Jeepforum the price went up. But I've seen them for a lot cheaper than 130... Look on Amazon.
Are you sure your not thinking about the MV50?? Those are quite a bit cheaper then the MV90!

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Are you sure your not thinking about the MV50?? Those are quite a bit cheaper then the MV90!
Knowing me, it's possible... My $39 compressor still fills tires faster than most.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Knowing me, it's possible... My $39 compressor still fills tires faster than most.
The MV50 runs $50 refurbished from the manufacturer's website. I wish I had bought 2 when Costco had them, it is a vast improvement over the Kmart, Wal-mart toy compressors.

I am looking for those smoking hot deals listed on the smittybuilt, they seem to be running around $150 now places I have checked. If y'all find a great deal, post it up in this thread!

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
The MV50 runs $50 refurbished from the manufacturer's website. I wish I had bought 2 when Costco had them, it is a vast improvement over the Kmart, Wal-mart toy compressors.

I am looking for those smoking hot deals listed on the smittybuilt, they seem to be running around $150 now places I have checked. If y'all find a great deal, post it up in this thread!
Tell me about it, I wish I bought two myself. Mine is just starting to show signs of it's age, little rust here and there.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Alright so I just ordered the Super Flow MV90 from lowrangeoffroad. Com and the ARB deflator. I'll let everyone know what I think when Mr. Brown drops it off!

·
Research, bro!
2,220 Posts
My friend just bought the Smittybuilt 2781. Last weekend we were airing up and he remarked how - outside of the color and badging - the 2781 and my MV90 looked identical. He was right. Hmmm... I should of taken pictures. I didn't see a difference but granted I didn't spend too much time comparing the two - wanted to grab something to eat. Didn't do a stopwatch test, but started airing at roughly same time and we finished at roughly same time... I'll post and update pictures on them side-by-side next time around.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
So, Mr. Brown dropped off my new MV90 on Thursday and I got a chance to use it today for the first time on Gamble Gultch. All I got to say is "I fucking LOVE this thing"!!! I took me 10min. from the time I opened the door to the time I got back in the Jeep and thats from 10psi to 35psi on all 4 tires. It's incredible fast and pretty quit considering. The bag that came with it is very spacious and everything fits in it perfectly. I just can't say enough good things about this compressor! The 2 issues I had with it are...1) the guage is off by 4-5psi and 2) the connector gets REALLY fuckin HOT!! I can definitely deal with those minor issues though. I also got a ARB E-Z Deflator and I well let's just say I need to work with it longer to give it a fair review... The guage was all over the place from 10-20psi off. I'm sure it's user error at least I hope it is!!!:shaking: The instructions suck! lol Yes I did read them and so did Mandy.

:bounce: Well I can't wait to go wheelin again tomorrow!! I just wish I got this compressor years ago!!!!:beer::smokin::D:laughing::bounce:

1 - 20 of 125 Posts