JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
2,263 Posts
I had their front and rear bumpers on my old rig.
- They fit perfectly with no problems
- The tire carrier never rattled at all
- The latch never worked itself loose

Overall I was happy with them and thought they were great bumpers for the price.

However if you ever see Shrockworks, LOD, Poison Spyder, Evo, etc bumpers you'll understand why they're much more expensive.

· Registered
35 Posts
I got one from 4wd hardware for $500 with free shipping. Rock-solid bumper with nice styling. When on with no problems, perfect fit. The two issues I had: first when I installed the warn 9.5 cti the winch wouldn't fit until I trimmed a small corner of the passenger side frame rail. The good news on winch install is that the vacuum pump doesn't need to be relocated like with many bumper winch combos. The second issue is the weight. I installed a budget boost before the bumper and winch and the rake was not there, after they were installed it came back. Other than that it has been very nice. Also had smittybilt bumpers on my TJ and they were excellent as well.

· Registered
1,520 Posts
they are a good bang for buck bumper.

I got the XRC on mine. it fit with no issues at all. this is my second smitty on my JK. I got it 50% off so it was a no brainer for me. LOL.

If I could have though I would have a PSC front...but for a total investment of $50.00 this bumper fits my bill :D

· Registered
1,423 Posts
are these made in the US or the four letter word (CHINA) ?
CHINA...

I agree with everyone else. They are good bumpers for the price, but QC is an issue with a lot of Chinese products. I don't have the front bumper, but I did manage to crack a weld on my rear bumper (XRC swing-away) with a hard hit. It still works just fine, but I highly doubt one of the higher quality bumpers would have had a weld break in the same situation.

· Registered
35 Posts
What do you mean?
What do I mean by the rake coming back? With the stock bumper and no winch the lift I put on had the jeep sitting level. When I switched to smittybilt and winch the front sat about an inch lower so the factory rake was back. My guess is that bumper and winch combo probably weigh nearly 150lbs. So stock springs are going to compress a bit under the weight. I think it is to be expected. When I go up to a RK lift I think it should be level again.

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What do I mean by the rake coming back? With the stock bumper and no winch the lift I put on had the jeep sitting level. When I switched to smittybilt and winch the front sat about an inch lower so the factory rake was back. My guess is that bumper and winch combo probably weigh nearly 150lbs. So stock springs are going to compress a bit under the weight. I think it is to be expected. When I go up to a RK lift I think it should be level again.
Ahh, makes sense. Im riding stock lift right now, so I can assume it will sit lower in the front then it already does stock. But I wont be running a winch till 1. I cant decide which to go with, and 2. till i get the funds. I was thinking an engo syntetic 9k

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The one on my Jeep is quite nice and has proved to be solid, quiet, and problem-free:

Yeah, i saw your pic a few days ago, loved it, actually had a question about your RI lights, did you run those to the stock fog light harness? Thats something i wanted to do instead of running the wiring harness all the way to the battery and running the switch wire.

· Registered
91 Posts
Yeah, i saw your pic a few days ago, loved it, actually had a question about your RI lights, did you run those to the stock fog light harness? Thats something i wanted to do instead of running the wiring harness all the way to the battery and running the switch wire.
Sorry if I missed the question in the other thread. It fell off the front page and... oops. :flame:

Originally had them wired to a switch inside the cab. Ended up getting an SPOD and now they're wired to that.

The factory fog light harnesses are still in place, but I packed the ends full of dielectric grease and then sealed them with some 3M electrical tape. Not sure if I'll ever use them for anything, but didn't want them to get trashed in the meantime.

With the RI lights being low-voltage LEDs, you might be able to get away with it. I haven't read any reports of folks trying (even though I'd bet someone has).

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry if I missed the question in the other thread. It fell off the front page and... oops. :flame:

Originally had them wired to a switch inside the cab. Ended up getting an SPOD and now they're wired to that.

The factory fog light harnesses are still in place, but I packed the ends full of dielectric grease and then sealed them with some 3M electrical tape. Not sure if I'll ever use them for anything, but didn't want them to get trashed in the meantime.

With the RI lights being low-voltage LEDs, you might be able to get away with it. I haven't read any reports of folks trying (even though I'd bet someone has).
Yeah, i thought about the SPOD before, Im currently using the daystar switches near the shifter. how much modification is required for the SPOD ie. drilling, wiring, entire install

· Registered
91 Posts
Yeah, i thought about the SPOD before, Im currently using the daystar switches near the shifter. how much modification is required for the SPOD ie. drilling, wiring, entire install
That's the beauty of it. Practically none. No drilling at all. Only "modification" I had to make was a small trim of the cross-panel above the rearview mirror where the switch box mounts. The rest of it is just running the wiring harness. Screwing the "brain" to the underhood mount is a piece o' cake.

Once installed you just wire your accessories to the underhood unit and presto.

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's the beauty of it. Practically none. No drilling at all. Only "modification" I had to make was a small trim of the cross-panel above the rearview mirror where the switch box mounts. The rest of it is just running the wiring harness. Screwing the "brain" to the underhood mount is a piece o' cake.

Once installed you just wire your accessories to the underhood unit and presto.
Sounds awesome actually. Just got wait for the price, lol.

· Registered
367 Posts
Plenty of other bumpers out there in that price range. One thing I hate about shittybilt is every mall crawler that gets Quadratec magazine has one. I prefer to be a little original with my jeep so it doesn't look the same as everyone else. Just my 2cents

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Plenty of other bumpers out there in that price range. One thing I hate about shittybilt is every mall crawler that gets Quadratec magazine has one. I prefer to be a little original with my jeep so it doesn't look the same as everyone else. Just my 2cents
I completely agree, I hate the SAME look everyone goes for. But the issue is, MOST bumpers ive seen on the market look stupid. I love the look of the R-SE front bumper, but at $1,300 and the fact that it limits wheel travel, i cant really go for that. The smitty actually looks good...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.