JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11,039 Posts
I had it as a child back when everybody still had to get it. I don't remember much about it except mine didn't "take" as they used to say so I have no scar on my left arm which I guess is unusual for my age group.

Looking at some google images I would say it doesn't suck as much as the alternative. ;)

·
RIP Brad
3,760 Posts
Sucks!! I feel your pain.

As I recall, the really bad ones were yellow fever and even worse, gamma globulin.... damn that last one right in the ass, hours before boarding a 130 headed out. Talk about being uncomfortable for six hours!?!

I don't think we got small pox.... possibly they gave it to us as kids as GK pointed out, but I always thought the pock mark on my arm was from the polio shot? Learn something new every day! :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had mine back in 05,
1. Don't touch it
2. its going to itch but don't rub or scratch it, you can pat it though
3. wash your hands often
4. keep the bandaid on it for the time that they told you to keep it on, don't remember off the top of my head how long it was.

did they put you on any type of restriction? When we got ours on the ship they waited till we were already out on deployment so we didn't get our friends and family infected.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sucks!! I feel your pain.
As I recall, the really bad ones were yellow fever and even worse, gamma globulin.... damn that last one right in the ass, hours before boarding a 130 headed out. Talk about being uncomfortable for six hours!?!
I don't think we got small pox.... possibly they gave it to us as kids as GK pointed out, but I always thought the pock mark on my arm was from the polio shot? Learn something new every day! :)
I had it as a child back when everybody still had to get it. I don't remember much about it except mine didn't "take" as they used to say so I have no scar on my left arm which I guess is unusual for my age group.
Looking at some google images I would say it doesn't suck as much as the alternative. ;)
/me Ricky Bobby voice "With all due respect, You 2 are some old bastards"

·
Registered
753 Posts
I keloid like it's cool. However, my scar is smaller than most because I did EXACTLY as I was told and LEFT IT THE FUCK ALONE!

Also, if you are combat arms or will be in the shit, DO NOT TAKE YOUR MEFLOQUINE! It's better to risk getting malaria (and deal with it) than having to deal with the side effects of that crap!

·
Registered
5,287 Posts

Got mine as kid back in the sixties. Don't remember much about but got the scar. What I do remember is getting cholera shots every six months growing up in Libya. Freaking arm would swell up like a ballon and hurt like hell every single time. Beat everything I ever got in the service.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've made a point of refusing all my shoots pre deployment.
Hmm. They told us the vaccinations were required to deploy, and refusing the vaccinations would cause us to miss the deployment, which would bring charges of missing a movement against anyone who refused vaccination.

Sent from my piece of crap Droid Charge using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Hmm. They told us the vaccinations were required to deploy, and refusing the vaccinations would cause us to miss the deployment, which would bring charges of missing a movement against anyone who refused vaccination.

Sent from my piece of crap Droid Charge using Tapatalk.
Same thing we were told. Refusing shots doesn't make sense to me. I worked with a guy who refused to take his malaria pills and wound up getting shipped to Germany with a bad case of Malaria. There's a reason for shots, besides do as I say.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
427 Posts
avoided the small pox in boot camp, can't remember how..but they made me get it a few years later. its not too bad, just dont touch it and change out the bandages often.

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
I was exempt from the SP vac for many years. First time 'cause the wifey was pregnant, second time 'cause the kid was <1 year old, can't remember what other exemptions I got. Had to finally get it before I went to Iraq last year and it wasn't all that bad.

The anthrax series was easy, too. Everyone complained about those all the time, but I thought they were nothing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.