JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok....so I am going to install a minor lift to my 4DR wrangler. The only thing I have done to the vehicle yet was to install some 285-75-16 BFG AT's. I have some VERY minor rubbing on the sway bar but nothing to out of control. I will relieve this with some spacers.

My real question is I am going up about 2-3"" and I am a little stuck on what to do.

If I get any of the different spacers on the market I will get to the 2" up mark and probably be up high enough for the things I will be doing. But if I get a full on "kit" with new springs and controll arms in the 3" range how much does that really affect articulation? Ride quality?

I really don't mind a rough ride or anything but I want to justify getting something more expensive it it is going to be worth it in the long run. Or if I am going to get better performance.

Thanks again for the great info here.

I am going to drive up a snow mound in a parking lot here in Chicago. Cause thats all i got!:pissed:

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
this is just one opinion...

I put a 2" Black Diamond b/b on my 4dr. While doing it, I found that the factory coils are compressed a pretty good bit, so they will do good for moderate articulation. To really get the most out of it, you will need new shocks and at least front swaybar links whether you have a Rubi or not. If you get front discos, no problem....

You will also need to get new brake lines. this depends on the amount of articulation you manage to get out of it. The rear lines really dont leave much room, either. Some kits come with shocks and brackets to lower the mounting points and retain the original lines.

I think in the end, it comes out to whether you like to experiment, shop for bragains or you want a one-time all inclusive kit.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Just a quick note, the Warrior spacer lift we carry is actually a 2.5" front spacer and a 2" rear spacer. These help level it out a bit pretty well, especially if you're using a winch and such.

I want to say the Teraflex BB kit does the same.

Here's a link to the kits. If you by chance purchase anything, make sure to use the coupon code "jkowp" (without quotes) at checkout to get free shipping on Warrior brand parts.

No shocks:
http://www.rjroffroad.com/warrior-2...jeep-wrangler-offroad-c-557-p-1-pr-17008.html

With shocks:
http://www.rjroffroad.com/warrior-2...jeep-wrangler-offroad-c-557-p-1-pr-17009.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks JR.

One question.

Do I need longer Sway Bar links with a 2-2.5 inch lift?

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
you will need rear sway bar links. YOu will be able to move your stock rear to the front and be good if you are going the budget route.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
to answer the original question here is my opinion:

Budget route starts off cheap. But, just like the first answer you got, you start neding to add things. Very quickly you will be near the same price as a basic "kit".

The thing people forget is your suspension is a SYSTEM. you can not add a part here or there without it changing the characteristcs of the system. In addition, the stering geometry is affected by the lift as well.

you can throw spacer on and nothing else. That will give you the hieght which is a very minimal benifit when you consider how much you will lose.

Springs themselves really do not cost that much.

I gues the question is in the end do you want

1. a less the stock quality ride that feels like driving an old XJ around.
  2. Close to stock but sitting higher
  3. Better then stock and lifted!

YOu may not need the third but to get the second you will need more then trowing some blocks above the springs

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
if you are like me....

the $150 here... $250 there makes it easier...

that and before the wife can say NO to a $1500 kit, you have gotten it peice by peice. ;) Sure I paid more... but I can avoid the long period of "going without" because of the sudden purge of the bank account. ;):D:D:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts