JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rock Krawler 3.5" X Factor Long Arm w/ RRD remote-reservoir system

The decision to do "some mods" opened the proverbial floodgates! :)

I was initially happy with some new wheels, then a simple 2" Rubicon Express BB lift to handle bigger 33" tires (went with the touted monotube shocks, too). Since I damaged my bumpers, I replaced them with far more stout pieces. LED lights were needed, of course. More runs in Big Bear resulted in a pretty banged up set of factory "armor". A full set of RROR skids came in handy. That Airaid sealed box was too tempting to pass up, plus I'm certain that I need a snorkel for it -- fortunately I can attach the RROR unit to that box.

My past weekend in Death Valley made me realize that I didn't like my suspension "upgrade" (especially for the long highway drive). It seems to be only marginally better than stock. Apart from the obvious clearance gains, I'm unhappy with it. A co-worker just bought a new 2012 JKU COD MW3 Jeep -- he plans on some on mild off-roading, so I'll send my setup his way. It will serve him well...

What I really want is a long-arm setup that could be daily driven -- offering better-than-stock on-road driving dynamics while giving me the off-road performance I'm after. I've read through the archives, and it seems the overwhelming favorite in this space is the Rock Krawler 3.5" X Factor long-arm setup.

Lifted 2012s appear to need either exhaust spacers, or the Rancho exhaust loop piece. Does the RK 3.5" on a '12 need either?

The only other question for me is who is the preferred SOCAL distributor? Who can I trust to install it correctly? It will be my first long-arm setup. I crave the increased clearance, rugged construction/materials, and proper geometry, but I've always been worried about the one-way trip that such a change introduces. A testimonial here would go a long way.

Can anyone in LA/OC recommend a shop to do this work on a 2012 JKU? Ideally, this would be Long Beach or nearby. I'm not seeing any current mention of it, but does this also compel a drive shaft change (or something to address driveline angle?).

On a final note, which shocks are preferred? I'm leaning toward a set of remote-reservoir RRD units. Thank you.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Going with 4WD.COM/4-Wheel Parts...

Since I already do most of my shopping with 4-Wheel Parts, I'm going to pick this up from them. If there is a compelling reason to go somewhere else, I'm open to that. I think I'll get a few more $ discount here (repeat customer discount).

http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Lift-Kits-Jeep-Lift-Kits-Suspension/3-5-X-Factor-Plus-Long-Arm-Suspension-System-by-Rock-Krawler-for-Jeep.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=38&t_pt=3533&t_pn=RKSJK35054

This plus the RRD shocks should do it. For some reason, I can't find the matching part for the remote reservoir on their system. Only the non-remote reservoir systems are listed.

Total system should run me about $4K or so. Comments?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
your in lb so i dont know about shops up there.

im in newport beach. in orange county there are a few jeep shops.

you got

rebel off road

oc motorsports

4wheel parts

outlaw off road

iin that order is my recommendation.

for drive shafts. i'm a believer in doing it right the first time. any lift over 3" you'll want to address front and rear drive shafts.

many people have gotten away with not having to replace their driveshafts with 4" lifts...

its all about how you wheel it and how often you drive

·
Vendor
2,957 Posts
Since I already do most of my shopping with 4-Wheel Parts, I'm going to pick this up from them. If there is a compelling reason to go somewhere else, I'm open to that. I think I'll get a few more $ discount here (repeat customer discount).

[/URL]http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Lift-Kits-Jeep-Lift-Kits-Suspension/3-5-X-Factor-Plus-Long-Arm-Suspension-System-by-Rock-Krawler-for-Jeep.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=38&t_pt=3533&t_pn=RKSJK35054

This plus the RRD shocks should do it. For some reason, I can't find the matching part for the remote reservoir on their system. Only the non-remote reservoir systems are listed.

Total system should run me about $4K or so. Comments?
Nothing against 4WD - but give us a shot. I guarantee I can beat their pricing and service.

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,650 Posts
Nothing against 4WD - but give us a shot. I guarantee I can beat their pricing and service.

THIS!!

I honestly believe you'd be doing yourself an injustice if you don't at least give Bond and his crew a shot at your business and the install. They know their stuff and do top notch work.

Marcus

·
Registered
546 Posts
I would stay away from 4WP for anything that's getting installed. Drive a little farther to a reputable shop.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Deal. This is exactly the kind of feedback I wanted. I have limited installation experience with 4-Wheel Parts, so I don't have anything negative to say about them. But, most of my best experiences were with smaller independent shops (my old shop in LB is gone).

Bond: I'll drop you a line to discuss this project.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.