JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for recommendations for a skid plate that covers from front bumper to oil pan that can be added to later. I.E. trans etc.
I'm getting water from road up into engine compartment onto serpentine belt.
Vehicle is a 2009 4-door JK.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Random Dude
3,039 Posts
No skid plates available run from the front bumper to the oil pan because the front axle is between them.

Engine skids for a JK typically begin just behind the front axle, covering the oil pan and trans, with separate skids for tcase and gas tank.

Your '09 JK has been out for over 10 years, and many skid plate manufacturers have photos of their coverage.

·
Random Dude
3,039 Posts
wet belts get no Jeep waves
Until last summer I never knew of any serpentine belt problems from water, but my Jeep threw the belt every time I got into a couple feet of water. No idea why it never happened before - I'd been in similar puddles plenty of times without issue. I've done some research into flanged idler pulleys compatible with the factory-style single-sided serpentine belt. Unfortunately, the only dimensional match I've found to the tensioner pulley is for a mower deck belt, and I don't trust the bearing in the Chineseco sample I bought. Progress stalled because other shit needed a-doin'.

There is, or used to be, an entire Mopar kit to fix this issue because 3.8L minivans used to chuck belts when hitting puddles. However, it uses a special belt w/ ribs on both sides. Haven't checked to see if that belt length would be compatible with my PSC P/S pump.

EDIT: https://www.jkowners.com/forum/modified-jk-tech-dept/57237-serpentine-belt-failure-through-water-psc-pump.html

Here's a JKO thread from way back about throwin' belts, and Hitmoney posted info. about the belt fix kit to which I referred above.

·
Super Moderator
6,233 Posts

how odd I find all of this when I consider that Jeep ( FCA) consider & refer-to our Wrangler's engine bay as a " wet engine compartment" , meaning the ecu & fuses & tipm .. everything...are sealed so moderate splash back & wettening doesn't affect operations .
I believe that's the only way they can offer water fjording ,depth specs.

( wonders to himself if son's baseball pinetar stick would help ?
Run it along inside of belt as it spins? )

·
Registered
659 Posts
1.5 cents.

My mind wonders if it something as simple as the tensioner spring being worn out to the point of being less effective.

A new tensioner would be a cheap enough experiment, and having a spare isn’t a bad idea, if it doesn’t fix anything.

Edit:
I carry an extra belt, obviously that should be included if you were to “carry” either tensioner as a spare.

·
Random Dude
3,039 Posts
1.5 cents.

My mind wonders if it something as simple as the tensioner spring being worn out to the point of being less effective.

A new tensioner would be a cheap enough experiment, and having a spare isn’t a bad idea, if it doesn’t fix anything.

Edit:
I carry an extra belt, obviously that should be included if you were to “carry” either tensioner as a spare.
Good question - I had the same :beer:

My belt-tossing session occurred on a new tensioner and belt. I alternated between new belt and spare - both got chucked in deep-ish water (maybe 2', sometimes barely 1.5') with equal launchability. I think a "bow wave" coming off the diff may have directed water to the Eff-Yoo spot :dunno:

After that vacation (with 6-8 serp. belt re-installations) I purchased a "krikit" tension gage and compared old vs. new tensioners on my 3.8 - both within tension specs. That's what led me to investigating flanged pulleys. I have a trustworthy flanged pulley for the static idler, but I don't trust the 1 I found for the tensioner.

:laughing: :beer:

Fortunately, the aforementioned hackfookery did not need to occur - the pulley flange OD just missed the tensioner:

However, there's a minor rub on ribbing on the side of the pulley:

Partly because of that and partly because I don't like the bearing in that pulley, I bailed on that project for awhile.

. . .
OP, I hope some of this tangential discussion is helpful toward your water-vs.-belt question :laughing:

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Do still have your lower shroud installed? If not I would recommend something like the Barricade Front Skid plate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do still have your lower shroud installed? If not I would recommend something like the Barricade Front Skid plate.
I replaced the bumper with a Barricade bumper, I'll look into what you suggest, thank you.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts