JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to removing the gas tank skid so I could repair it. Man this thing is fuc*ed up. I am going to reinforce it with some plate before I put it back in. If anyone else's skid looks like this I would advise you to do the same. The problem is when the skid is pushed up it put higher loads in smaller areas of the tank and could eventually wear through the plastic tank, plus you will be able to actually fill the tank back to original capacity.

I had a colony of small ants living in the skid

I am also going to repair my t-case and engine skids. When I first bought these rock hard skids I thought they would hold up better.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I thought the RH skids would have held up better? Maybe after you straighten them out weld some 3/8 angle in the pan.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Wow, those things are trashed! I had the same luck with my warn engine skid on my TJ, they just bowed like crazy until I added some extra ribs, then they held up decently.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought the RH skids would have held up better? Maybe after you straighten them out weld some 3/8 angle in the pan.
Yeah I was thinking I need to do something while I have them off. I wish I could move the gas tank up and then build a flat skid from one side to the other with some dom for reinforcing.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
just cut a couple inches horizontal out the middle of the tank and duct tape it back togther. The trick is, to make sure the tape is really flat to get a good seal

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
so, is the skid the only thing holding up the tank?

is there any straps or bolts that keep it from moving around in the side to side fashion??

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just cut a couple inches horizontal out the middle of the tank and duct tape it back togther. The trick is, to make sure the tape is really flat to get a good seal
Don't get me wrong I like duct tape but the last time I did that the gas turned the tapes adhesive to gel and I had an icky mess all over my hands

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
Don't get me wrong I like duct tape but the last time I did that the gas turned the tapes adhesive to gel and I had an icky mess all over my hands
did you use silver or black tape?

I am surprised there is nothing to keep the tank from moving. I would think even the slightest movement of the tank back and forth, sitting on metal with grit would eat it away like sandpaper. I would be tempted to put some sort of rubber pad under it

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
did you use silver or black tape?

I used the black so it would match, guess I should have used the silver huh

I am surprised there is nothing to keep the tank from moving. I would think even the slightest movement of the tank back and forth, sitting on metal with grit would eat it away like sandpaper. I would be tempted to put some sort of rubber pad under it
That's the other reason I wanted to pull it. I was cleaning and painting the frame after the beach trip and I kept getting sand out of it, you wouldn't believe how much crap was between the tank and skid. Another thing I found was the flange for my rear drive-shaft has almost cut through the skid. I have Tom Woods shafts with 1350 u-joint and the flange is a little larger than the stock one so when the rear axle is articulating it hits the skid.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
FWIW I welded some 1x1/4" fins on to the inside of my RockHard t-case skid and it improves the strength of it substantially.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I have Tom Woods shafts with 1350 u-joint and the flange is a little larger than the stock one so when the rear axle is articulating it hits the skid.
The 1310 and stock ones do the same. I trimmed the skid in that area, but it still makes contact a little.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Glue

I don't think I'd use duct tape alone for this. Maybe some of that Gorilla Glue... :stirthepot:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts