JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I am trying to decide which type of system to go with.

I have a 2 door although I do not think that matters as much. There are times when ill have to use my rear seat so id like to put some of the gear outside the vehicle.

I would like to hear from those of you with either a hitch mount, roof mount, or sport rack, ski/snowboard carrier.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Hi everyone!

I am trying to decide which type of system to go with.

I have a 2 door although I do not think that matters as much. There are times when ill have to use my rear seat so id like to put some of the gear outside the vehicle.

I would like to hear from those of you with either a hitch mount, roof mount, or sport rack, ski/snowboard carrier.

Thanks!
I really don't like my hardtop but in the winter when I go snowboarding I put my Thule Rack up there with one or two rocket boxes. It works awesome.
I will dig up a pic.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Im wondering the same thing..I don't feel like climbing on top of the jeep to remove and put away gear... Rear would be nice.. maybe the tray option..in the hitch.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
ive been contemplating ditching my congo cage for a smaller and lighter option. the cage is great. but needing the >500lb carry capacity isnt really needed right now since i dont have a RTT. mostly all i carry are kayaks and canoes.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I tried the tray with skiis and boards. Wrapped everything in a tarp, strapped it all down... worked perfect for the price :beer:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Looks like rain gutter mounted Thule/ Yakima bars.

I just outfitted myself with a set of feet and crossbars for $80 this last weekend. Worked great for the x-mas tree! :beer:

Anyone have the perfect mounting spots to minimize the wind howl?

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I'm tuned in as I have been trying to figure out an option for snowboards. I really can't grasp how the rear Thule/Yakima feet attach to since there isn't a gutter for the rear. Anybody have pics of a 2 door with this system?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I'm tuned in as I have been trying to figure out an option for snowboards. I really can't grasp how the rear Thule/Yakima feet attach to since there isn't a gutter for the rear. Anybody have pics of a 2 door with this system?
I believe you have to drill mount rails for a rear Hard top setup, which is why I went cheap and easy with the rain gutter set.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I believe you have to drill mount rails for a rear Hard top setup, which is why I went cheap and easy with the rain gutter set.
That's what I was thinking but I can't bring myself to drill into the top. I guess in the meantime I guess I'll have to keep my eyes open for an ingenious way to haul my boards.

·
Registered
428 Posts
That's what I was thinking but I can't bring myself to drill into the top. I guess in the meantime I guess I'll have to keep my eyes open for an ingenious way to haul my boards.
Like CLAM said, with the rain gutter mounts you have plenty of room to carry the boards......before my GOBI this is what I used.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I guess I will be the first to chime in with a hitch mount.

I have the Yakima HitchSki.

I also have a 2 door and the roof mounting options were limited so I didnt go with that - plus I wanted to be able to carry my bike in the summer with the soft top so this was the perfect solution.

Pros:
-No climbing on top of the jeep to get to your gear
-You can see all of your gear in the rear view mirror so you can keep an eye on it
-Very easy to load/unload
-Can remove it from the jeep as soon as you dont need it
-doubles as a 4 bike bike rack
-it has a secondary optional locking cable to secure your stuff
-It has a built in bottle opener :beer:

Cons:
-It sticks out kind of far (not such a big deal for us 2 doors because we are short)
-If you have a rubicon tire or larger on the tailgate you can not open the tailgate without a hitch extension

If you want pics I can take some -- I have a drop-down hitch reciever that I use with it that makes it stick out an additional 8" but allows for the tailgate to fully swing open.

·
Registered
718 Posts
No pics with the skis/boards in in but here it is in Bike carrying mode with my bike on the furthest out spot. Also this pic has my hitch extender/drop down setup installed. Without the extension it sits 4" higher and 8-10" closer to the jeep

Attachments

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Like CLAM said, with the rain gutter mounts you have plenty of room to carry the boards......before my GOBI this is what I used.
How does it mount? The rear of my top doesnt have raingutters so can someone show pics?

btw, I have a 2-door so I don't have as much raingutter to mount to as you do.

·
Registered
428 Posts
How does it mount? The rear of my top doesnt have raingutters so can someone show pics?

btw, I have a 2-door so I don't have as much raingutter to mount to as you do.
I will try to find a pic but you mount the rear rain gutter at the furthest portion of the rear door, so as far back on the gutter as possible and mount the front over the front doors.....it gives you plenty of room.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c245/BigBadMagnum99/2008007.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.php?119984-Yakima-roof-rack..&usg=__2xNsOYVHzBGrYTp-_RaXg5tKY4s=&h=531&w=800&sz=110&hl=en&start=17&zoom=1&tbnid=EX4h-EYBylK91M:&tbnh=95&tbnw=143&prev=/images?q=rain+gutter+mount+jeep+jk+4+door+pics&hl=en&sa=X&tbs=isch:1&itbs=1

Ok, so I google this crap and I apologize for the source but it gives the OP a good idea of how these racks mount......you can lash me later! :beer:
Obviously, your ski/board mounts would replace the cargo box.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts