JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Sirius radio that is "suction-cupped" to my windshield and plugged into the aux plug of my radio. My antenna is attached to the top of the hard top (outside). The quality of the sound is awesome. Better than FM, actually. But the reception is sometimes OK and sometimes so bad it's TOTALLY un-listenable. And it has very little to do with trees/bridges over head. Do others have this problem? And if I put in a Sirius ready radio into the dash and ditch the docking station I have now, will the reception be better? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Sat radio uses 3 satellites that orbit in a pattern over North America. Ideally one or more is within range at any given time. But, depending on where you are, the available sat. might be near the horizon or behind a mountain, etc...

My antenna is located inside the roll bar padding on the passenger side, and it seems to work from there all the time. There might be some advantage to having it touching the Jeeps metal structure (ie the ground plane effect for CB radios)

I'd try different antenna positions to see if the problem improves.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sat radio uses 3 satellites that orbit in a pattern over North America. Ideally one or more is within range at any given time. But, depending on where you are, the available sat. might be near the horizon or behind a mountain, etc...

My antenna is located inside the roll bar padding on the passenger side, and it seems to work from there all the time. There might be some advantage to having it touching the Jeeps metal structure (ie the ground plane effect for CB radios)

I'd try different antenna positions to see if the problem improves.
This could be the issue. When I had my add on Sirius, it was mentioned that the antenna needed to be on the roof; not for reception issues per se, but for grounding. I had read that others wanted to keep it off their paint, so they just stuck it on the front of their dash with mixed results (mostly poor).

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have my antenna on the cowl, between the vents and the windshield. I have never had a problem with it except in full cover situations. Narrow deep canyons, or freeway overpasses are the biggest offenders

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
May be a different matter, but I used to have the GPS antenna for my Kenwood DNX-8120 on the dashboard of my truck. It was magnetic and there was a convenient screwhead where it would stay put. Always worked fine. Sirius antenna might be similar?

Personally, I renamed Sirius to "(Are you) Sirius (?)" long ago. Sound quality was fine, but programming went to pot (IMO) when they merged with XM. Just too much money for something that doesn't offer what I want to listen to. I havent paid for a Sirius subscription since maybe '08. Now I'm hooked on Pandora.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts