JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My first project with my Longevity Weldmax 520 :
I made a trip to the metal scrap yard to see if they had anything I could buy to make a rear bumper. I will make a tire carrier later since I'm trying to stay on a budget. The tire carrier will cover most of the gap between the bumper and the tailgate of the Jeep. Forty-five dollars later I have some heavy metal to make a rear bumper. A 5 inch C channel- bumper, 3/4" plate for the recovery point, and some heavy 5 inch angle iron for the frame mount. I took the recovery tabs notched and into the frame. I will run some grade 8 bolts through the recovery plate and the frame. Saw this on someone's build a while back. Nothing fancy but will get the job done. I may build a receiver into it later but for now I'm happy. I am waiting on some grade 8 bolts to come in tomorrow to finish the final installation.

Scrap:

A plan?

I stopped at 11:00 pm

Paint 2 coats of primer and then truck bedliner

And done:62 pounds

extra bolts through the frame and larger bolt through the recovery tab and frame

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I built my rear bumper a few weeks ago. I had nothing to do tonight so I went out in the garage to put the receiver into the bumper I will add two more mounting points to the cross member later so I will include that in this thread when I get to it. Bonus: I was able to make it close enough to my spare it actually supports it when the gate is closed. Now I may not be able the throw a new spare on there, but I will have my home built tire carrier in the works for that issue.

$20 for the receiver at Tractor Supply Store. I am happy with how it turned out for just a few dollars and 3 hours of work. I will have the OEM receiver for sale later also if anyone is interested.

now receiver has mounting point on cross member.

My son is grown and at the house this weekend. We worked in the garage to make some jeep parts. He used the plasma cutter to fab some drop in safety chain hooks for the rear bumper and a holder for the 4pin trailer hookup. Turned out great and when I go wheelin they come out for a slick bottom bumper. They are just for my little 10' utility trailer. I even had him on some vertical welding practice. Lots of fun working together.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.