JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few shots from a quick run I did on Sunday. Decided to go at the last minute so had to run by myself.

Ran Poughkeepsie Gulch and stopped for lunch at Lake Como.

Went up over California Pass and down Placer Gulch.

Been running these trails for nearly 40 years and never managed to stop at the Solid Democrat mine. The stamping mill is one of the best preserved in the area.

Explored San Juan County road 99, then headed for home via Silverton. There was a brief western-style traffic jam at the Eureka townsite.

A fun day close to home.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Suburban Philadelphia sucks.
I wish I could go to these places

·
Registered
575 Posts
very cool. Is Poughkeepsie a tough trail? I really wanted to run it when I was there a few weeks ago but wasnt sure since I was by myself.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it's the "toughest" in the area, but just has a few gnarly sections and one major obstacle, called The Wall. One of my favorites because of the terrain & the way it ties into Hurricane & California. Lockers and a good line & you're cool. Helped a guy with a stock 2dr Rubi over, scratched up a wheels and learned what the skids were for.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Suburban Philadelphia sucks.
I wish I could go to these places
Lol, I was stuck in Northern NJ with a built YJ for many years. In '98 I just got in the Jeep, pointed it west and was camping at Taylor Reservoir in 2 days. A long drive but you'll be glad you made the trip. (Would be easier in a JK!)

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Lol, I was stuck in Northern NJ with a built YJ for many years. In '98 I just got in the Jeep, pointed it west and was camping at Taylor Reservoir in 2 days. A long drive but you'll be glad you made the trip. (Would be easier in a JK!)
Wow. Great story for being such a short one. :smokin:

I would to love to live there (or at least vacation there again). Love the scenery. Breathtaking. :beer:

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Love that area and have family in Colo Springs. Have made a couple of long hauls from Northern Va to SW Colorado in my Jeep. For some reason the wife flys into the Springs and I pick her up. LOL. Great scenery, history and trails.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For anyone looking for good trail info on Colorado, Charles Well's new book is the best yet. Covers the entire State, all trails updated. Ring bound, color photos & a new relief system, too. Back in '07 I ran a couple Moab EJS trails with him and as a result some shots of my YJ ended up in the new Moab guide. Nice guy. Has the dream job!

·
Registered
601 Posts
For anyone looking for good trail info on Colorado, Charles Well's new book is the best yet. Covers the entire State, all trails updated. Ring bound, color photos & a new relief system, too. Back in '07 I ran a couple Moab EJS trails with him and as a result some shots of my YJ ended up in the new Moab guide. Nice guy. Has the dream job!
Do you know if this is the latest edition?
http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Colorado-Backroads-4-Wheel-Drive-Trails/dp/1934838047/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1316448126&sr=8-7

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's the one.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Finally ran Poughkeepsie in its entirety this past August (got turned around at the wall a few years back due to a buddy's overheating XJ). I love that trail, and the wall is a blast:

My wife and I have been going up there from Albuquerque for the last 7 years, every summer. Only this last summer did we start branching-out towards Buena Vista and down towards Crested Butte. We never tire of the Silverton/Ouray area.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I really miss this area of Colorado. The wife, kids and myself used to go up every year to the Ouray, Silverton area for vacation in my built Willys CJ3A so many great memories. Now if I could just get the JK and get back there again with the wife (Kids are grown now). SoK66 what are the stats for your jk? I really like its stance.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Great shots. Im out ther eabout once a year. I prefer the pics with no people in them. Thats why I go. I cant stand people.

Damn. Did I just type that...maybe this should be undr the drunken thread.
:thefinger:

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
...... SoK66 what are the stats for your jk? I really like its stance.
Thanks. Teraflex 4" short arm on BFG 37" KM2s, MT Classic IIs. Supplemented the TF kit with Synergy (Poly Perf.) steering correction kit, track bar brackets, sway bar links, brake lines & bump stops, full skids. TF "Monster track bars F&R , Spyntec hub conversion, Superior axle shafts F&R, TF sleeves & gussets, TF bumpers, Power plant winch. All works great now but took forever to get it dialed in.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I thought Lake Como was at the top of Blanca?

Did you keep the 5on5 with your hub conversion?

·
Registered
215 Posts

There is a Lake Como at the top of Blanca. There's probably four or five lakes in CO by the same name.

The hub conversion requires a switch to 5x5.5.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

That's Lake Como, the one at the top of Blanca is Como Lake. Rumor has it they were named for Perry Como, the singer.....(4/1/2012 come early in the high country.)

Re: the hubs, you have to convert to 5x5.5" wheels with the Spyntec conversion. That is the biggest stumbling block if you have already built your rig, but you can usually peddle your wheels to help take the bite out of the cost of new ones. Stock wheels on adapters won't work, the center holes are too small for the hubs and can't be opened up safely.

·
Registered
875 Posts
That does it, im putting the jeep on a trailer and hooking it to the motorhome and heading to colorado. Probably in the spring.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts