JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to trade my .38 for a sig mosquito. I know they are known to have some feeding problems. I was just wondering if anyone on here had ever had one or messed with one?

i never shoot my .38 anyway. I'd like to have a .22 just to plink with. I'll never carry this gun. i never carry the .38 either.

I figured i'll polish the feed ramp and do all the little tricks everyone talks about.

· Registered
350 Posts
My wife has one in pink. It's an okay gun I guess. Hers had a feeding problem the very first time we took it to the range. We were shooting cci mini-mag hp through it and it failed to feed twice and failed to eject once. We put roughly 150 rounds through it that trip. We haven't been back to the range with it yet, but hope to soon. Other than that, the gun if comfortable and easy to shoot for plonking, but I wouldn't use it as a carry gun.

Sent via evil monkey!

· Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My wife has one in pink. It's an okay gun I guess. Hers had a feeding problem the very first time we took it to the range. We were shooting cci mini-mag hp through it and it failed to feed twice and failed to eject once. We put roughly 150 rounds through it that trip. We haven't been back to the range with it yet, but hope to soon. Other than that, the gun if comfortable and easy to shoot for plonking, but I wouldn't use it as a carry gun.

Sent via evil monkey!
ya it's just a cheap plinker. i carry the .40 or the .45 and she has the 9mm and .380. i never shoot the .38. really it's not much fun to shoot so why waste the $ on the ammo ya know.

my eventual plan is a long barrel .357

· Registered
83 Posts
I bought one for my girlfriend and it did have a horrendous problem with feeding and ejecting. I called Sig Sauer and told them what it was doing and they sent me a next day air call tag and had me send it to them. They worked it over and sent it back to me in less than a week. It performs flawlessly now!
They were great to deal with and the Mosquito is really fun and really cheap to shoot.

· Registered
327 Posts
I have one. I've had it since December of 2012. I've taken it out several times, and I've never had any feeding issues. It IS a fun little gun!

(I'm sure, now, though, I'll take it out and won't be able to get it to eject or chamber a round, at all. Thanks alot for telling me this, guys!)

· Registered
1,503 Posts
A buddy has one and I've fired it several times. To me its very 'meh'. To me the purpose of these, and all the other 22s that mimic their full-size uncles (M&P 22, SR22, Kadet, P22, etc etc) are to train for using the larger caliber platform. They tend to be a notch lower in reliability and accuracy than the standard-bearers. I've seen and experienced some feed problems with these, and it seems common to the genre.

The standard but unexciting ground-up rimfire platforms are generally better guns. The Ruger Marks (I especially like the 22/45), Browning Buckmarks, and even the Beretta Neos are good platforms. These are the kind you buy and just never sell because they do what they do perfectly.

Your mileage may vary - best of luck either way!

· Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Picked it up. Gotta get to the range now.

I had no love for the .38. Handing this gun I'm impressed. It handles super smooth. The guy I traded is a gun nut with a few safes full. He wanted a beater .38 and he shoots his competition .22s. He changed the spring and Emory cloth'd the slide. Said he want having any feeding issues. And even before that it ran fine.

I really like this little gun.

· Registered
1,503 Posts
I hope to get a S&W .22 myself some day....specifically, this one:

Model 617. Expensive as hell, but awesome....

· Registered
563 Posts
I have shot both. The Sig feels more substantial and heavier, the Walther seems a little lower quality...Then I shot both. The Walther cycled very smoothly, was very accurate and ate everything. The Sig had FtF twice and a FtE within the first 40 rounds.

I bought the Walther, and it is a great little gun.

· Registered
204 Posts
I have a mosquito. Very picky with ammo... its pretty unreliable unless you feed it the expensive .22 ammo that Sig suggests in the manual. Even then it's not perfect.

It comes with two different slide springs so you can change the spring out for higher velocity .22 ammo.

Honestly... I'm not impressed with it. I realize .22 ammo is cheap and no one expects it to cycle as reliably in a pistol as 9mm. But I don't think I'd buy another mosquito. I think a .22 revolver is actually a really good idea and I might trade my Mosquito in.

· Registered
30 Posts
I have shot the sig. Very finicky on ammo. It has lots of FTF's. I just picked up a Ruger SR 22 for the wife. Shoots great, and after 1000 rounds of Walmart ammo, not one issue.
I will 2nd that. My SR22 eats any ammo you throw at it! I have messed with the Sig and the feed problems are enough to make it not worth it.

I highly recommend the SR 22 for a pinker.

· Registered
2 door 2010 JK sport
832 Posts
I have one. I find that after 100 or so rounds there's issues feed/extracting. Accuracy is so so. Has a really small (narrow?) grip. I find it's perfect for women or someone with smaller hands.

· Registered
209 Posts
I have shot both. The Sig feels more substantial and heavier, the Walther seems a little lower quality...Then I shot both. The Walther cycled very smoothly, was very accurate and ate everything. The Sig had FtF twice and a FtE within the first 40 rounds.

I bought the Walther, and it is a great little gun.
X2 on the walther!! Love mine shoots all day flawlessly with the cheap stuff

· Registered
459 Posts
I have a Walther P22, shot multiple different kinds of rounds through it and it has never jammed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.