JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do we have side marker lights. What good are they. I chopped my fenders and lost the lights. Easy, disconnect at the plug, move the wiring to the engine bay, label, and tape closed. Hey, a write up! Why do people spend money to buy LEDs to replace them. They are less useful than that foam stuff sprayed on the floor.:shaking:

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Why do we have side marker lights. What good are they. I chopped my fenders and lost the lights. Easy, disconnect at the plug, move the wiring to the engine bay, label, and tape closed. Hey, a write up! Why do people spend money to buy LEDs to replace them. They are less useful than that foam stuff sprayed on the floor.:shaking:
Some states require them.
That is why people keep/replace them.

·
Registered
848 Posts
It is a DOT requirement in all states for a street legal vehicles.. In some states you can get a ticket or they will tow your jeep because it is not legal to be on the street!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
i always wondered is it still legal to relocate them like everyone does after they chop their fenders. would it pass inspection with them in the wheel wells like people put them?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Our Grand Cherokee does not have them. Is it because the gov. considers the Jeep a body on frame truck?

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Our Grand Cherokee does not have them. Is it because the gov. considers the Jeep a body on frame truck?
Wrap around lights count as side markers. They' have been a federal standard since '70. Side reflectors were from '68-'70. Backup lights were required in '68, and third brake light '86.

Driving old truck/cars gets you familiar with some of these, I've been pulled over for all but the third brake light. Don't no much about the Pre- brake light stuff like the single brake light in the Willies but my buddy gets pulled over in his CJ-2 alot.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In Illinois you only need one working brake light. CHMSL is gone. The research never verified they provided any safety or reduced any accidents.

I guess I will try to mount some LEDs for the side. Think they are ridiculous. If someone can't see my light projection at night from the side I doubt a side marker light is going to provide any additional help.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
In Illinois you only need one working brake light. CHMSL is gone. The research never verified they provided any safety or reduced any accidents.

What you'll run into is a COP will right you a ticket and you'll have to talk to the DA or Judge. Most will tell you as long as it had/didn't have it when it was manufactured your OK. The only one I couldn't win was no Seatbelts. Most stated even if it wasn't produced with one you need to add one by state law. If what your saying above is State regs they probably mean is one brake light is minimum requirement even if it wasn't produced with one.

Your going about it the right way, make is as small and obscure as possible. They can't tell you you don't have one even if you have a single LED hot glued to the Hood straps.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What you'll run into is a COP will right you a ticket and you'll have to talk to the DA or Judge. Most will tell you as long as it had/didn't have it when it was manufactured your OK. The only one I couldn't win was no Seatbelts. Most stated even if it wasn't produced with one you need to add one by state law. If what your saying above is State regs they probably mean is one brake light is minimum requirement even if it wasn't produced with one.

Your going about it the right way, make is as small and obscure as possible. They can't tell you you don't have one even if you have a single LED hot glued to the Hood straps.
I work in an ER. We have police in all the time but especially on the night shift. They are the ones who told me to forget the CHMSL. I guess I am putting myself at risk for not having it but it is ridiculous and I'm bullheaded.

I looked for the sidemarker light requirement in the DOT stats and could not find anything requiring one on my Jeep. Guess I did not look in the correct area. Oh ah. There is a nice little spot to put one up front under the edge of the fender. I'll get to it sometime.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I work in an ER. We have police in all the time but especially on the night shift. They are the ones who told me to forget the CHMSL. I guess I am putting myself at risk for not having it but it is ridiculous and I'm bullheaded.

I looked for the sidemarker light requirement in the DOT stats and could not find anything requiring one on my Jeep. Guess I did not look in the correct area. Oh ah. There is a nice little spot to put one up front under the edge of the fender. I'll get to it sometime.
I haven't been running the CHMSL for a while now. I don't expect to get picked on either. It's always the time when someone want's to be a dick. Most of the Flat fender TJ's I see don't have side markers, I guess those guys dont have any issues.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts