JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an idea to retrofit some round LED boards into my side marker lights and have them function as auxiliary turn signals.

Problem is, I'm going to have to completely disassemble the lamp assembly, i.e., remove the amber lens from the black plastic housing.

Has anyone successfully done this? Any idea how the two parts are held together?

Silicone or other sealant would be preferable -- a heat gun or a little time in the oven would soften that up enough. I'm hoping they're not plastic- or ultrasonically-welded together...

·
Super Moderator
6,194 Posts
i had to mount mine after fender trim to a different location as well as 'smoking' them from Amber to dark ( thus have mucked with the little bastards a bit ) and can confirm ultrasonic molded together ... you'd have to dremel-cut the amber top lens away from the molded unit ( if you're referring to the side markers in the fenders ) ... you know you can just splice a wire into the turn indicators to make them flash with the signals , yeah?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i had to mount mine after fender trim to a different location as well as 'smoking' them from Amber to dark ( thus have mucked with the little bastards a bit ) and can confirm ultrasonic molded together ... you'd have to dremel-cut the amber top lens away from the molded unit ( if you're referring to the side markers in the fenders ) ... you know you can just splice a wire into the turn indicators to make them flash with the signals , yeah?
Thanks for the info.

I'm aware you can set them up to wig-wag with the turn signals (did the same thing on my '08 Tacoma...). I've just been looking into LED options other than the God-awful Recon units -- something that will actually fill the housing with light, rather than make it look like it has chicken pox. With a handful of exceptions, LEDs won't wig-wag like that -- they allow current one way, so they will either light up with the running lights or flash with the turn signals, depending on which way you have them wired.

I've got extensive experience with Radiantz LED strips and boards (mostly on Harleys), so I was looking into a dual-function (dim/bright) LED board for the side markers.

I've also been considering doing the same with the front turn signals and coming up with something for the taillights.

If all else fails, I think I can cut the back portion out of the side marker housing (where the bulb actually twists into), install my board, seal it up, then go from there. I may spring for some cheap(ish) aftermarket housings to cut up. That way if it doesn't work out, I haven't destroyed the better-functioning OEM units.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts