JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Nothing beats sitting in the yard with a beer watching shuttles and rockets go up. Night launches are amazing. Being at the cape to feel a shuttle launch was the bomb.

BUT... The last moon shot was a night launch, Let's just say a Saturn 5 night launch was the most amazing shot I'll probably ever see.

Damn I miss the shuttle launches

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I watched that camera angle footage when it was first shown to the media. It was onboard Discovery for the first Shuttle flight after Columbia went down. That flight introduced many new camera angles and sensors.

In that room full of reporters, guys that have been covering the Shuttle program for years and years and have seen pretty much everything... when the they showed that footage, at the moment where the booster releases from the tank and the Orbiter and external tank go zooming off into space... there were audible gasps from everyone in the room.

It stands as one of the most striking images of spaceflight that I've ever seen.

~SoCo

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Bit of family shuttle trivia. Wife's uncle was on team that wrote quite a bit of the computer code, from start of countdown to 5 seconds after liftoff was (at the time) over 500 MILLION lines of code... Houston took over at 5 seconds after takeoff

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Back in the day, I worked in a shop that machined the Aluminum/Lithium panels for the SLWT (Super Light Weight Tank), the Separation Rings and Nose Cones for the Boosters, as well as several other smaller pieces for the Shuttles and Space Station.
I felt a little pride every time I saw a shuttle take off. And still get goose-bumps watching them.

Thanks for sharing this video!

AMP

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
That was awesome

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.