JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shrockworks has released some pics on their website, I think they did an excellent job. Thanks guys!!

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Manufacturer ShrockWorks
Part #: JJKW1-RBPR-01A
Fits: Jeep JK Wrangler 2007-2008

Coming soon! Pics are of the prototype and represent pretty much exactly how it will look. We are working on the tire carrier right now. We will post more details and pricing as it becomes available.

As of 11/19/07 we are expecting to have pricing and begin taking orders on the bumper only version in a few weeks. It will probably be about a month before we have pics, details and pricing on the tire rack version. We expect the tire rack version to begin shipping in about 3-4 months and the bumper only in about 2 months.

Shrockworks

·
Registered
868 Posts
Okay, bye bye Rockhard bumper, hello Shrockworks...

Ron

·
Registered
102 Posts
it is good looking. i'm more interested in that than a stubby rear. coming down on an unprotected corner would suck. and be expensive.

wish they could have moved that hitch up a little though...

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
it is good looking. i'm more interested in that than a stubby rear. coming down on an unprotected corner would suck. and be expensive.

wish they could have moved that hitch up a little though...
They made it sound like you would still get corner coverage, it just wouldn't extend out as far past the body. That way it won't look goofy with tube fenders.

·
Registered
792 Posts
that's a great looking bumper. Nice lines. It will be interesting to see what there full line of rear bumper options looks like in a couple of months.

·
Registered
102 Posts
They made it sound like you would still get corner coverage, it just wouldn't extend out as far past the body. That way it won't look goofy with tube fenders.
now that i would be interested in. but i want a hitch, too! \/

That looks like the factory hitch there.

Ron
is it? i've never seen one in person. it's cool that they designed around it for the people that got it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I finished up the stubby last week and we should get some pics taken this week.

As for any current concerns (my post on another forum):

"For those of you worried about width, I have mentioned to many who have asked about the rear bumper that there is two versions (even some of those posting). This is the first proto for the full width style guys who want full coverage to the edge of the flare. There is also a stubby version for the minimalist who wants to run aftermarket flares (or no flares) which I have to get out and build ASAP for you to see...we still have an ace in the hole.

Some other concerns are about the tire cut out being deeper, which isn't possible, the cut out goes as far down as possible and is basically resting on the rear crossmember. Take your stock bumper off or crawl under your jeep and look at the restrictions we are working with.

This crossmember also comes into play on the prefered location and integration of a hitch. We could have choosen to integrate a hitch but had to choose above or below that crossmember. We weighed the pros and cons such as loss of clearance, hitch height, weight addition for structural support, etc. and looked at the different changes need to the current design we have ended up with and chose what we did as the best general option. Why kill clearance and add wieght when there is already a substantial tow point available? What if Joe customer doesn't want to tow anything but requires more clearance?....What about making it a possible option to be able to do both?

and we are working on getting a good deal on stock location hitches for you guys who don't have them...

All questions we have asked ourselves and weighed.

The question/statement about the tire carrier flex and moving it toward the center of the vehicle: Good point, it has and will be taken into consideration. And as someone stated there is only so far it can be moved toward the center due to tailgate interference...we are walking the fine line already and working on solutions to try and take care of both and more situtuations.

The mounting hasn't totally been finalized but as it stands the mounts catch both the side and bottom of the frame and the recovery points are directly intergrated.

We are working on making our product with function in mind and enough options to make it as generally pleasing as possible. We are working long and hard to accomplish this and our current orders. We appriciate the feedback and try as much as possible to take it into consideration, in some cases we have already addressed the issues and other cases try to include options prefered. And as always:

"You can please some of the people all of the time,
or you can please all of the people some of the time.
But you can't please all of the people all of the time."

Nick

·
Registered
3 Posts
As a new owner of a Shrockworks stubby front, I'm looking forward to matching it up in the rear. I have to say that in a weird way it actually makes me feel good to do business with these guys...their stuff is of the highest quality from what I have experienced, and I have NEVER seen a company so willing to openly take suggestions from the public concerning design. Definitely a dying breed; kudos.

·
Vendor
21 Posts
Pic of the stubby....

On the hitch, we thought about this a lot. As with most things, there are trade-offs whichever way you go. Here is our reasoning.

The stock hitch sits right on the bottom of a frame cross member, it is very strong, it is removable and a lot of people already have it. In order to do an integrated hitch in the bumper, it would only make sense to put it above the frame crossmember. Putting it in-line with the frame crossmember would mean making the whole bumper stick out a lot further from the back of the Jeep in order to have a useable length receiver…..not good. Putting it above means raising the tire about 3” from where we will be putting and would mean very little view out the back with a big tire. It would also mean a tire carrier would be mandatory for anything larger than a stock tire.

Where we are putting it is high enough to keep it from dragging but will give more visibility than if the hitch was mounted higher. If you are a hard-core guy, just leave the hitch off. Even if you leave it on, you may drag it sometimes, but it won’t hold you up (my experience with a lot of wheeling in my JK), it’s strong enough that you won’t damage it, and I’d rather grind and beat up a removable receiver hitch than the actual bumper.

If you don’t already have the factory hitch, we will offer one you can buy with the bumper.

A

·
0 Posts
I really like the stubby too, nice job. How big of a tire will fit without the carrier?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Man that thing looks awesome! I know I am in the market for some new bumpers and why not match my rockrails!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts