JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
For the money I got the 12k Mile Marker. Pretty strong winch!

G

·
I went with a WARN XD9000 because the controller module with the solenoids can be installed remotely. I put the controller under the hood and wired in-cab switches for it for a cleaner look (IMO).

·
Registered
899 Posts

I went with the Warn PowerPlant HP. I wanted onboard air and a winch and figured this was as good of a solution as any. It may have cost a bit more than a separate winch/compressor but I am very happy with the setup. I didn't want to hassle with any plumbing or additional wiring for a separate compressor/reservoir tank. Nor did I want to take up any space in the cargo area for it. And I didn't like the idea of mounting it underneath the rig either.

The compressor works great. I am very impressed with it. It takes about 3 to 3.5 minutes per tire to fill up my 37x13.50/17 from 12 psi to 32 psi. And for a regular sized tire it works pretty dang fast. I have used the compressor alot more than I thought I would. I even had the opportunity to reset a bead with it not to long ago and it did that no prob.

As far as the winch goes, I have no complaints. I have used it 4 times and that doesn't count the respooling of it later. Which is usually several days, if not longer, after each use. The first use was for myself to get up an obstacle called "the eagles nest" on the trail "constrictor" here in Utah. The second use was in Kanab to pull my father-in-law and his 4 wheeler up a hill that he wasn't able to climb up. The third use was for an extraction/recovery of a full size Dodge truck up Butterfield Canyon here in Utah. And the 4th was to get myself unstuck out of some dry/soft/deep sand in Hog canyon, Kanab.

Every time the winch worked great with the exception being that on the last 2 uses, my battery light on the dash came on. Which was understood considering the loading/draw that it was taking. I can see dual batteries in my future. I have never seen the light any other time including the respooling after those times.

I also chose the TeraFlex bumper specifically because not only would it fit the powerplant but it is recessed down between the frame rails. I considered other bumpers that do this as well but the TeraFlex bumper fit all of my criteria best.

Pros:

convienence
ease of use
saving of space
9500 lb winch
compressor is pretty quick and powerful

Cons:

if you want a reservoir tank it would be involved to plumb (if at all possible) from the powerplant
I had to have the bumper cut/ground slightly to allow room for a winch cover
if it needs fixing they are both out of comission until repaired

·
Registered
850 Posts
I went with 10,000 lbs Champion on a LOD/Custom Built Steel Front Ram Bumper & Removable Winch on the Rear LOD. So I can use it on tight trails to pull some one up or if your stuck in mud and need to go back and not forward.. Two years of use and still going strong.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I went with the Powerplant and Shrockworks stubby. I chose the PP because of the built in air compressor. I knew I wanted on board air, but didn't want to fool around with finding space for a separate unit, or having to wire in anything else.
I've used the winch a few times, once for my own extraction and a bunch two winters ago clearing the neighborhood streets of fallen trees and limbs from a nasty ice storm.
I re-spooled with 90' of Viking Fireline with the saftey thimble.
I've also recently added in cab controls for both winch and air.

·
Registered
898 Posts
seen a few of this setup...you took the bumper off and cutt out part of the front bumper frame/crossmember to seat the winch, right?
no it's a AEV winch mount.

I have the PowerPlant HD w/ Aux air tank
winch works great
air up tires quickly
use of air tools
easy to use
reliable (so far)

con:
heavy
not sure if the winch will work if the air stops
will not fit in all bumper

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Shrockworks Mid-Width with Warn PowerPlant HP

Soon to have the John L in cab controls also! :beer::beer::beer:

·
Registered
956 Posts
Warn M8000. So far so good. Ive recovered myself after a hydro-lock, lost the engine, and recovered 2 people from prarie city. A chevy blazer running street tires and an Isuzu Rodeo. Worked great every time. if $$$ was no option I would have went with the power plant, but on a budget, this has been a great winch so far and the one self-recovery I had to du probably paid for itself. I also went with the shrockworks stubby.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Winch

I just went with the factory winch and winch bumper. So far it has worked great. Also covered under the factory warranty... :shaking: OK so that is scary! I did change out the steel cable for something safer and with a little less weight on the front. I also carry a 50' extension for those hard to reach places. ;)

·
Banned
3,216 Posts
I have the Tabor 8000lb winch. At the time I did a bunch of research. I found that specs were pretty close to the Warn 8000 lb. I think it was just a little slower line speed but not much. Tabor is made by Warn and most all of the parts are servicable using the Warn labled parts.

Anyway, here it is. I extended the cables to the selonoid to put it up inside the engine bay infront of the battery.

I built a switch box and wired in cab winch control

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.