JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking for a thread like this, but no joy. Lots of antenna mount threads, but very few to see about the radio itself.

I would like to see the various solutions people found for mounting the radio.

On a related note, I was thinking about a magnetic, 2 piece mount. That way I could mount it in the passenger leg space and just pull it out to lock it up, get it out of the way etc.

Anyone ever done that?

I also though about just rigging a sling for the radio that hangs from the passenger oh-sh** handle and has a shoulder strap for taking it with you. With a light plug for power, you can just attach the attenna.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
I like this one because I can stash it when I am not using it. It also doubles as a handheld. Has worked great for me so far. My iPod goes there when not on the trail...

I like the under the seat option,.....

I will most likely go with a full size cobra once I get my Tuffy center console though.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do you like that Midland? I was looking at that and comparing it to the Cobra 75.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I mounted mine on the side of the shifter console using the existing bolt. CB on the driver side and 2m on the passenger side.
Auto or 6sp?

The reason I ask is that the only installations I have seen like what you mentioned have been on autos... I wonder if there is a reason for that or just a coincidence?

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
How do you like that Midland? I was looking at that and comparing it to the Cobra 75.
I like it just fine but there are many who don't. Most like the Cobra 75.... I think that N2 is running a 75.

I only use it while on the trail and most of my trails are close enough to have cell service and I don't wheel alone. If I were to ride into the back country or somewhere remote I would have a much better CB with an amplifier just in case. I used a CB to contact one of the pump stations on the Dalton highway in AK when someone was broke down on the side of the road (400+ miles of bad road) - that dude could have froze to death or been someting's lunch.... so I am a big fan of a CB in case you get in a bind.... sorry for the ramble ---> the Midland will be fine until I can get a better one. Gotta get the Tuffy first.

·
Registered
199 Posts
...I only use it while on the trail and most of my trails are close enough to have cell service and I don't wheel alone. If I were to ride into the back country or somewhere remote I would have a much better CB with an amplifier just in case....
In my experience a CB is only good for communicating on a trail ride. For reliable communications I have a 2M/70CM rig in my JK. The main unit is behind the driver's side dash and the display is mounted above the mirror.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
494 Posts
I made a bracket that goes between the left front floor bolt on the passenger seat and the screw on the right side of the shifter console. Its sturdy enough to hold a Cobra 29 that barely fits in that space. My wife complained about back when she used it as her daily driver. It's really not in the way. The bracket is made of 1/8" x 1 1/4" steel.

Attachments

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Sadly.... I can name most of those radios and scanners. And NO, this isn't mine.

I installed the 75 for space concerns but put the module under the heater unit behind the computer. My big box ham radio is on the drivers side wall above the left foot area. The head is a remote head an dis installed on the ARR bar next to the GPS. The handsets for both are on the instrument tower with the CB on a tab off of the radio and the ham controller hanging off of a plastic hook double stick taped to the passenger side instrument tower and down low to not interfere with the glove box or the passenger.

·
Registered
155 Posts
THI IS MINE

·
Registered
799 Posts
:smokin: I waited till I installed my Sports Cage, then, using it, I put my COBRA over the rearview mirror and made it rotatable 180 deg.

:D:grinpimp: JIMBO

·
Registered
712 Posts
Plastic's plastic for me - will get all messed up anyhow, so I just went the lazy route. 3 screws in the plastic header and the frame the CB came with:

!c

·
Registered
101 Posts
No problem from passengers. i have the cobra 3 from walmart. just like the one jkdrone has above.

i rotated my rearview mirror 180 so it sits higher (gives me better vision) and wont allow the radio to mount above it.

even with the doors off, you have to look twice to see it. (mic in the glove box). and if someone steals it (again) i'm only out $30.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No problem from passengers. i have the cobra 3 from walmart. just like the one jkdrone has above.

i rotated my rearview mirror 180 so it sits higher (gives me better vision) and wont allow the radio to mount above it.

even with the doors off, you have to look twice to see it. (mic in the glove box). and if someone steals it (again) i'm only out $30.
I think you have a fine idea.... about the value.

I have a couple of cheapies that work just fine... $25-$30 each. I may just mount it and risk it. If someone steals it, no biggie.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Auto or 6sp?

The reason I ask is that the only installations I have seen like what you mentioned have been on autos... I wonder if there is a reason for that or just a coincidence?
Mine's an auto.

I made a bracket that goes between the left front floor bolt on the passenger seat and the screw on the right side of the shifter console. Its sturdy enough to hold a Cobra 29 that barely fits in that space. My wife complained about back when she used it as her daily driver. It's really not in the way. The bracket is made of 1/8" x 1 1/4" steel.
Mine looks about like about only with a smaller unit and not the floor bracket.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts