JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post up some pics of what roof racks your running, especially 2 doors but 4 doors are welcomed too. I am looking to get a rack system to increase cargo capacity for my non-existent 2 door cargo room. I have been looking at all and I would prefer one that does not mount to where my windshield lights mount. I have been looking at Kargo Master, Garvin, Off Camber, Smittybilt and Warrior to name a few. Also one that will still allow me to drop the top.

-Dan

·
Administrator
8,731 Posts
Kargo Master with basket

BTW, the rack was used for SEMA but I think ts for sale now.. you might get a screaming deal on it.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a pretty sick ride. That rack sits up a little too high for my liking anf looks like the front mounts right where my lights are.

-Dan

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That Gobi too, looks like it mounts up front to where my windshield Dually’s are. How difficult is it to remove and install these racks. I know some guys have removed because of wind noise and fuel economy. My Jeep is a daily driver.

-Dan

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
That Gobi too, looks like it mounts up front to where my windshield Dually’s are. How difficult is it to remove and install these racks. I know some guys have removed because of wind noise and fuel economy. My Jeep is a daily driver.

-Dan
You can still use the light mounts on the windshield

It takes about an hour to install a Gobi the first time. You may get a little wind noise and may see a drop in fuel economy, both would be negligible, the same as any rack.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hmmm... I know those are the racks you asked to see but I was expecting a different kind of picture. :wink_animate:

Me too! Really disappointed! <sigh>

·
Registered
578 Posts
Keep in mind that the JK is a body on frame construction designed to let the body float independently of the frame. I just don't see how stress failures won't happen when you tie the body to the frame with a rigid structure like a steel rack. After time, something has to give and more then likely it will be the sheet metal around the windshield mounting location.

If you look at AEV's rear bumper you will see they anticipated the "body on frame" movement by engineering a saddle for the arm to move without creating stress on the rear gate.

The companies that manufacture this style of rack really need to think about how they are mounted.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
The companies that manufacture this style of rack really need to think about how they are mounted.
I can only speak to Gobi racks. There is natural flex in the support bars and also a plastic bushing where the rear support attaches to rear tower supports (where it pivots). Also the rear brackets attach to the frame and then clamp to the pinch seam, if anything the point of failure would be there and not the windshield.

With 100s of JK/TJ/LJ and YJ racks sold and hundreds of thousands of road and trail miles Gobi has never had a customer with any issues reported.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I can only speak to Gobi racks. There is natural flex in the support bars and also a plastic bushing where the rear support attaches to rear tower supports (where it pivots). Also the rear brackets attach to the frame and then clamp to the pinch seam, if anything the point of failure would be there and not the windshield.

With 100s of JK/TJ/LJ and YJ racks sold and hundreds of thousands of road and trail miles Gobi has never had a customer with any issues reported.
Thanks for the feedback. It's good to know that Gobi has thought the issue through. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts