JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Should I assume the ESP is off just curious

Not my first jeep but first JK.Got it a month ago. so its new to me. It snowed here today (ST. louis) and i slid around turns and no light came on and no anti lock brake action. should i assume the previous owner dissabeld the ESP. I cant say that i miss them at all.;) so prob wont try to fix it. just asking

·
Registered
803 Posts
If the ESP disable procedure had been used then your "ESP OFF" indicator should stay on for 12 seconds after the ignition had been switched ON.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am thinking its been disabled more than the steering wheel dance. the light never comes on. I read on here somthing about a fuse under the center consel trick whould that turn off the dash light too.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
And i tried the dance (not sure i did it all that well) but still no dash light or light by stick shift

·
Registered
803 Posts
I am thinking its been disabled more than the steering wheel dance. the light never comes on. I read on here somthing about a fuse under the center consel trick whould that turn off the dash light too.
Warning Lights on your dash are computer controlled so pulling a fuse on an outside system would not disable a warning light. Are you saying it never lights up on your dash even during self check when the ignition is turned on?
Also note that 2007 and some early 2008 Models needed a reflash for the chicken dance ESP disable to function.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a red dot that may be it. i thought it was a car skidding or something and i have never seen a car skidding light. And no owners manual to make sure

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm.... mabey i will just call it a lucky break and let it go. Never had ESP befor so wont miss it. Anti lock break I miss a little. But not alot.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ha Ha Ha im begining to think it has no tire pressur monitor ether. that light has never come on as well. But it was a great deal. and you dont miss what u never had its just good to be in a Jeep again after like 8 years!! :D:copyofrockon:

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I apologize, after looking at it real close, from every angle i did notice the light is on on the dash but it is so faint it is almost impossible to see.

THanx for all Your help:bounce:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
they may have put something in/over the lamp as to not see it.

and if its an 07 you may not have tpms system, im glad i dont

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
HOw do you full disable the ESP?

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
they may have put something in/over the lamp as to not see it.

and if its an 07 you may not have tpms system, im glad i dont
Dont think i will miss the tpms

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Hmmm.... mabey i will just call it a lucky break and let it go. Never had ESP befor so wont miss it. Anti lock break I miss a little. But not alot.
Hey, I have a write up in the write up department, you can read all about it. As I am fully disabled now, I still have my antilock breaks, and no automatic breaking around turns. Sounds like some thing a little more serious.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I tried the method described in the owners manual for disabling the ESP and I cannot for the life of me get it to turn off. Not sure what I could be doing wrong I followed the directions exact. The only thing that I can think of is, when you turn the steering wheel, do you turn it half way full lock, or by a half turn do they mean, just one half rotation of the steering wheel?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Turn the wheel 1/2 a turn so the "Jeep" emblem is upside down. I had to put a timer on my watch set for 7 seconds in order to get it to work. Just counting "1 mississippi" didn't work. lol Also, if the ESP is off, you should get the "car skidding" and BAS lights lit up all the time as well as "ESP OFF" in the odometer a few seconds after you start the engine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts