JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally looked at and drove a 2012 yesterday. The power is definitely there. I currently have a 2DR Black Ops Rubicon that i like but I always feel like I should have gotten the 4DR.

In order to trade and not pay a ton more I'm looking at getting a JKU Sport S with basically the same options as my Rubi. I would obviously be missing out on the lockers, axle, disco, 4:1. But honestly i don't wheel that hard that often and have never even used the e-lockers. All the electronics are nice but they also take forever to engage.

Am I crazy to trade up? If I trade these then I'll be able to upgrade along the way and not throw away Rubicon parts.

So the numbers look like this.

New JKU $32,000 MSRP
Dealer offer: $29,000
Trade: $26,500
TTL: $1,500

So simply put is it worth the $4,000 for the new engine and 4DRs?

Thanks for listening :gluging:

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
If you really want a 4 door I would do it. I switched from a 2 door Sahara to a 4 door rubi after 3 yearsand wish I made the switch sooner. Change in family size dictated my decision. If you don't need or want a 4 door that bad spend the money on a supercharger and call it good. BTW having a 4 door has not hurt my wheeling at all.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
In order to trade and not pay a ton more I'm looking at getting a JKU Sport S with basically the same options as my Rubi. I would obviously be missing out on the lockers, axle, disco, 4:1.
Then what else is there?

Wait a year and wait for a used '12 to save some cash. yea your '11 will lose a little value, but not as much as the '12.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Im trying to upgrade to a 4 door 2012 too. They are so awesome. I'm all for it. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
So I finally looked at and drove a 2012 yesterday. The power is definitely there. I currently have a 2DR Black Ops Rubicon that i like but I always feel like I should have gotten the 4DR.

In order to trade and not pay a ton more I'm looking at getting a JKU Sport S with basically the same options as my Rubi. I would obviously be missing out on the lockers, axle, disco, 4:1. But honestly i don't wheel that hard that often and have never even used the e-lockers. All the electronics are nice but they also take forever to engage.

Am I crazy to trade up? If I trade these then I'll be able to upgrade along the way and not throw away Rubicon parts.

So the numbers look like this.

New JKU $32,000 MSRP
Dealer offer: $29,000
Trade: $26,500
TTL: $1,500

So simply put is it worth the $4,000 for the new engine and 4DRs?

Thanks for listening :gluging:
Ask the sales guy what the treadlightly price is and see if it is any less. If so, pay the $60 to sign up with treadlightly and get the jeep of your choice 1% below invoice.

I was in a similar situation, traded an '09 2dr rubi for a '12 4dr rubi. Love the new one so much more than '09. So many improvements in 3yrs.

For you've got most of the improvements, just not the extra doors and the 3.6.

If the motor or the extra doors are that important, do it. If not, keep what ya got.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My negotiated price is well below tread lightly discount as far as i can tell. The invoice is around 30,500. So TL would be about 30 if i'm doing the math right.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
After driving a 2012 6-speed with 4.88s and 35s...the power is DEFINITELY NOT THERE. It's got more pep than a 3.8, but not something I'd lose money, sleep, or time over trying to trade.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I think its easier to say there is definitely a change in power. Its a completely different engine and transmission. I went from a '10 JKU auto to a '12 JKUR and it was the best decision for me. You don't wheel often so I doubt you'll be spending thousands on gears and 35 in tires....so you won't lose that much.

Out of the box I think you'll be happier with the new power.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
My negotiated price is well below tread lightly discount as far as i can tell. The invoice is around 30,500. So TL would be about 30 if i'm doing the math right.
Okay

I didn't have my paperwork handy for comparison before.

For comparison, our '12 JKU Rubi stickered of $37595 mildly equipped. Invoice was $35270, our final not including $500 bonus cash was $34894. I'd presume holdback is comparable from JK to JK, I'm seeing $1104 on my sheet.

At the end of the day if you feel comfortable doing it, do it.

Oh, and make sure to twist the screws on the interest rate and work that down to almost nil. :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interest rate is 0% so my payment will actually go down per month but will extend out another year.

The power is not my reason for upgrading its the room / doors.

Also that 6-sp with 4.88s is way over geared on 35s.

I'm leaning towards pulling the trigger. I'll see if I can get another couple $$s out of the deal first.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I had a 2011 JK Sport for six months before trading in for my 2012 JKU Sport. My JKU Sport on a level lift and 35s followed a TJ with 5" long arm, selectable lockers, 4.88s, and 35s. I had to get pulled off a rock once because the front tires were in mud, rear tires were trying to crest a ledge, and gas tank was sitting on a boulder. Had I been lifted at the time I'd probably have made it.
I tell people all the time they don't need the Rubicon for 90% of the wheeling with a JK. It's not like a TJ or older where lockers were basically required. With the traction control devices on JKs you can go a lot farther "open" than you ever could before.

Go '12 and never look back. I love my '12, especially if you're going auto.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
If it were for a 4-dr Rubi, sure why not, would recommend waiting at least a year and buying a nice preowned. Having had 3 Rubi's (2 of them JKs) no way I'd step down, just another perspective, but I personally believe there is a lot to be said for the Rubi's hardware.

Either way glad to hear they beefed up the little v6 a tiny bit more, still think they should have a hemi option in a 4-dr rubi from the factory, with a D60 front/rear option :), one could wish at least.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.