JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A co worker wants to sell his "Colt's MK IV/Series '70 Government Model" 45 auto... Shaved handle 6+1 with right handed half cock lever.

He actually wants me to pay him with a new Beretta Px4 Storm 9mm...

Is this a good trade fellow gun fans?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would say no. This is just one example of a quick search but that gun only looks to be worth $400ish. And that's in "good" condition which, I'm not sure that gun qualifies. It's hard to tell.

http://www.gunvaluesboard.com/have-colts-mk-iv/series-70-government-model-45-auto-matic-c...-9515830.html

It does seem to depend on what year it was made though. Some of the years are quite a bit more valuable.

Check gunbroker.com as well and see what they are selling for. One I checked was $1200 but it was in a display box and in MUCH better shape.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I would say its a deal I would go for... The Beretta is a fairly cheap gun and even cheaper resale with no following. A 45 colt is a lot more reliable and easier to sell if you ever wanted to.

Not sure why anyone would give up a Colt for a Beretta anything let alone a 9M guessing he must have a reason.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
if you like nostalgia or collectability go for it...but do some price/value research

but the beretta is better at doing what handguns do.

personally, i would not make this trade.
:confused:

better at what handguns do???

Not to many handguns are copied for 100 years, especially for it's ability to due what handguns do. I think the 1911 has proven itself, even over the Beretta. Browning tried to make a better 1911 with the Hi-Power and they still cant better the standard.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
if you like nostalgia or collectability go for it...but do some price/value research

but the beretta is better at doing what handguns do.

personally, i would not make this trade.
???? I have yet to see a reliable beretta.... Guess I spent to much time in the military and I have been around too many guns in general.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Check out the serial number of the colt - there are changes in during the run. Some are more valuable than the $400 mentioned above. I have one of these Colts and it's a shooter. Dependable and a great gun. No way I'd prefer a plastic Beretta over it.

·
Registered
729 Posts

Not to many handguns are copied for 100 years, especially for it's ability to due what handguns do. I think the 1911 has proven itself, even over the Beretta. Browning tried to make a better 1911 with the Hi-Power and they still cant better the standard.
-more rounds
-accuracy going to be the same for practical purposes
-i prefer 9mm to 45cal (wont go into this discussion, just giving my reasons)
-newer, less worn, 45 has unknown condition/problems is not under manf warranty

what handguns do: engage unarmored targets at short range

i carried this beretta at one police dept, and a beretta 92g at the same one before the switch. fired thousands and thousands of rounds from each with no problems - used the 92g in real police-shooting situations. i dont doubt the beretta. and i would rather carry it than a 1911. just my 2c guys.

i knew this would bring the 1911 crowd out. but the guy is asking for opinions. thats mine.

re military berettas: i recently worked with natl guard on an assignment - they carried the most broken down poorly cared for beretta 92s i have ever seen. that may affect your opinion of the gun - maintained correctly, it is great.

i carry handguns for shooting people. it will depend on what he wants it for - for a target shooter, the colt would probably be cooler. but for engaging possibly armed people, not in my opinion.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I love 1911's and I want a Kimber bad, not liking the colts much, I'd rather have a colt python. Yes the 1911 has been around for 100 years. Beretta, the company has been around for 500 years. The PX is an excellent gun and runs about $550 MSRP new for the full size. They don't sell for much less than that used.

As someone else said, if you are a collector or want it for the history, go for the 1911. If you are looking for a carry gun, I'd go with a PX4 compact.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The Beretta is a fairly cheap gun and even cheaper resale with no following. A 45 colt is a lot more reliable and easier to sell if you ever wanted to.

Not sure why anyone would give up a Colt for a Beretta anything let alone a 9M guessing he must have a reason.
My thoughts exactly.

Amen brother. Preach it. There is a reason why the 1911 is STILL the most popular handgun today after 100 years and why so many professional shooters use it for their build platform. Also a reason why so many tactical units (SWAT, special forces) opt for it over so many other choices. You don't need 15 rounds if you can hit your target with something that has enough power to actually stop them. Also, this is currently the most copied handgun design to date. I think just about every major manufacturer today has a version of it. Every manufacturer except for Beretta at least.

???? I have yet to see a reliable beretta.... Guess I spent to much time in the military and I have been around too many guns in general.
This has been my experience as well.

If I was given this offer, I would do it in a second. Especially since this sis a Series 70. IMO, the Series 70 1911s were the best ever made by COLT.

BTW, for what it's worth, I have owned, shot or fired both of these, along with Glocks, Sigs, S&Ws, Taurus, and other Berettas. I still have many of them but if I had to pick one, it would be a 1911 and the only thing that I would consider giving up a 1911 for these days would be a Sig.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had one. Mine was a series 80 I think though. I offered it up for trade and had offers POURING in. Everyone loves the colt. Would I trade as a keeper? probably not. Would I trade as a stepping stone to get me to something else? I might...

·
Registered
590 Posts
-more rounds
-accuracy going to be the same for practical purposes
-i prefer 9mm to 45cal (wont go into this discussion, just giving my reasons)
-newer, less worn, 45 has unknown condition/problems is not under manf warranty

what handguns do: engage unarmored targets at short range

i carried this beretta at one police dept, and a beretta 92g at the same one before the switch. fired thousands and thousands of rounds from each with no problems - used the 92g in real police-shooting situations. i dont doubt the beretta. and i would rather carry it than a 1911. just my 2c guys.

i knew this would bring the 1911 crowd out. but the guy is asking for opinions. thats mine.

re military berettas: i recently worked with natl guard on an assignment - they carried the most broken down poorly cared for beretta 92s i have ever seen. that may affect your opinion of the gun - maintained correctly, it is great.

i carry handguns for shooting people. it will depend on what he wants it for - for a target shooter, the colt would probably be cooler. but for engaging possibly armed people, not in my opinion.
I'm going to agree with you for all of the reasons you mention. I never had a beretta malfunction when I carried as a service side arm. The ONLY service handgun malfunction I had experiences was with a 1911... I am sure it is rare, but an OH SHIT moment not needing to be repeated.

I am a fan of the punching power of 1911 :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's kinda tough to make out with the pictures but the slide appears to have been filed on? The radius seems too close to the engraving on the sides. I may be wrong but it looks strange. I'd be very critical of any owner performed mods to the weapon. They can trash the value.

·
Registered
998 Posts

Hm, so John Browning copied his own design when manufacturing the Hi Power? The 1911 IS the Browning platform.

-Dan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts