JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Vendor
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a dumbass, i know.

So here it is, i leaned my Mossberg 835, 28" barrel 12 gauge against the tire on my truck and drove off. It looks like the barrel is straight but i don't really want to risk it, anyone have any good contacts for Mossberg parts?

:beer::D:pissed:

·
Registered
173 Posts
bring it to your local gunsmith and have it checked. i have a 12 gauge remington that slides around the bed of my pickup all over the lease. doubt anything is wrong with it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
if the barrel comes off and reconnects without a problem, you should be fine. Shotguns are designed to take abuse, and if it only fell over you shouldn't have any problems. Take it to a range, or depending on where you live, take it out back and shoot some bird shot and then gradually move up to buck shot, and notice the pattern. If the pattern is messed up then you might have a problem, if not you should be good to go.
PS- Mossbergs are one helluva shotgun. I shoot a Benelli Nova, and I have dropped mine from the tree stand and it still shoots just fine.

·
Registered
665 Posts
If it just fell you are good to go!! I have a benelli that has been through hell (Arkansas) and back, several times over. Gets wet and muddy and dropped and banged around for at least 60 days with no cleaning or maintenance during duck season and never misfires or shows signs of damage! Oh yeah it ran over by a 3/4 ton dodge cummins once too!!

·
Vendor
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it just fell you are good to go!! I have a benelli that has been through hell (Arkansas) and back, several times over. Gets wet and muddy and dropped and banged around for at least 60 days with no cleaning or maintenance during duck season and never misfires or shows signs of damage! Oh yeah it ran over by a 3/4 ton dodge cummins once too!!
That is exactly what happened, it got ran over by a 3/4 ton Dodge diesel! I am going to take it to the gun smith, they evidently have a way to measure it and see if it is bent

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Why don't ya just go shoot it?
If youre used to your gun you will know if something it wrong.
If it shoots the same no reason to worry about it.

·
Registered
665 Posts
That is exactly what happened, it got ran over by a 3/4 ton Dodge diesel! I am going to take it to the gun smith, they evidently have a way to measure it and see if it is bent

haha!!...i would say it is ok...especially if it was on fairly flat ground...if it had been a hole or something without a lot of support under the whole gun i would be worried.....Does it feel unusual when you hold up to your shoulder....

·
Registered
665 Posts
Why don't ya just go shoot it?
If youre used to your gun you will know if something it wrong.
If it shoots the same no reason to worry about it.

Bad idea, even though if there isn't a visible bend it probably isn't bent, but worst case scenario it could be cracked and if it was shot....BAD ENDING!!!!

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Bad idea, even though if there isn't a visible bend it probably isn't bent, but worst case scenario it could be cracked and if it was shot....BAD ENDING!!!!
What exactly would a cracked barrel do? Explode?
I dont really see that happening, I suppose it could though.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Yeah but that is truly a worst case scenario. Have you ever seen a modern muzzleloader shot using true old school blackpowder, bad!! If the crack was in the right spot the gas expansion and pressure could cause the crack to expand and ultimately explode, but that is the worse case. I would say the gun is perfectly fine, you would be suprised how much guns can take, like I said mine has survived Arkansas several times! Haha

What exactly would a cracked barrel do? Explode?
I dont really see that happening, I suppose it could though.

·
Vendor
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The other thing that concerns me is that it is ported, for my piece of mind i am going to have them look at it.

The funny thing is i sit there and stare at it and i swear it is fine, then i walk away for 5 minutes look at it, and swear it is bent. The mind is a scary tool!

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Yeah but that is truly a worst case scenario. Have you ever seen a modern muzzleloader shot using true old school blackpowder, bad!! If the crack was in the right spot the gas expansion and pressure could cause the crack to expand and ultimately explode, but that is the worse case. I would say the gun is perfectly fine, you would be suprised how much guns can take, like I said mine has survived Arkansas several times! Haha
True true.
I have put many shotguns through hell. The only one i "take care of" is my competition trap gun that one gets cleaned after every outing and stays safely in its padded case at all times when not in use.

The 870 (fun gun) , the 1100 (doves when not using one of the over/unders) , the Benelli (ducks/geese) all have been beat to hell and back and still work like champs :D
The Benelli has been dropped in 5 feet of water 15 miles from nowhere in Stuttgart several times LOL

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
My benelli has been in that same mud!!! Haha. Hate that crap still in the recoil pad and the fine textures of the stock!!! Haha
Haha when you float your hat in 35 degree weather the last thought on your mind is "hold onto the gun!" :laughing:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts