JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just removed my big, heavy tire carrier and I want to cover up the vent and the bolt holes on back. I've seen the Poison Spyder trampstamp and the JCR with the can carriers.

Just want to see what else is out there... This isn't an easy thing to research since it doesn't really have a standard name for it. I Googled trampstamp, and while it was hours of amusement it didn't really help

So show me what you got, even if you made it yourself...

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,181 Posts
I just removed my big, heavy tire carrier and I want to cover up the vent and the bolt holes on back. I've seen the Poison Spyder trampstamp and the JCR with the can carriers.

Just want to see what else is out there... This isn't an easy thing to research since it doesn't really have a standard name for it. I Googled trampstamp, and while it was hours of amusement it didn't really help

So show me what you got, even if you made it yourself..

TNT Customs

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I got Vegas Vic for my 55 Buick but I sold it... He wouldn't last long hanging out here!

Tnt for the win(so far)...

That is pretty much what I was looking for.

The ACE gatekeeper has potential but it is just too busy for me.
I wanted a place to mount a backup camera but now that the tire is inside I can see fine.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I went with the Genright stamp. I figured it'd be the only parts from them I could ever afford so why not pull the trigger on somethin' fancy! HAHA! The quality and finish is what you'd expect and of course aluminum.

The only issue I have and one you might want to consider is if the inside of your rig is sealed tight (hardtop) and the stamp fits tight against that vent, you might get a whistle inside your cabin when you run the AC etc. I have also found that with that vent being essentially closed off, the climate control stuff doesn't "flow" as well. I have to crack a window to get that ventilation back. Is it a deal breaker? Nah... Just a suggestion.

Sorry I don't have any pics to post but their website pics were enough to sell me on it. They also include an aluminum tab to fill the hole left by relocating your plate but since it's just a bent tab, I have no clue how they want you to fasten it to the opening. I just went with the Mopar piece of plastic.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went with the Genright stamp. I figured it'd be the only parts from them I could ever afford so why not pull the trigger on somethin' fancy! HAHA! The quality and finish is what you'd expect and of course aluminum.

The only issue I have and one you might want to consider is if the inside of your rig is sealed tight (hardtop) and the stamp fits tight against that vent, you might get a whistle inside your cabin when you run the AC etc. I have also found that with that vent being essentially closed off, the climate control stuff doesn't "flow" as well. I have to crack a window to get that ventilation back. Is it a deal breaker? Nah... Just a suggestion.

Sorry I don't have any pics to post but their website pics were enough to sell me on it. They also include an aluminum tab to fill the hole left by relocating your plate but since it's just a bent tab, I have no clue how they want you to fasten it to the opening. I just went with the Mopar piece of plastic.
Didn't know Genright made one...
I just checked it out. I see they have a louvered plate option that would alleviate the problem you mentioned.

I doubt I will ever take my hardtop off for more than a weekend so that is something for me to consider and I want to put my license plate where the louvers go.

My biggest problem with Poison Spyder, Genright and others is that I hate to pay for a product with a huge logo on it. I know I'm weird... the TNT shows a small logo in some pics and none in others.

I think I'm gonna see my bodyshop friend and get a price to fill and paint all the holes in the tailgate and the body. I have a few extra from the OR-FAB tire carrier that was on it.

I will also price corners and paint and do whatever seems best.
I thought about making it completely flat but that would just bring attention to the ugly hinges...

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I went with just the Poison Spyder license plate holder and left the raised, painted area of the tailgate alone but may just use black paint to black it out since nobody makes a tramp stamp sans a logo:

http://shop.poisonspyder.com/JK-License-Plate-Mount-Wide-Vent-p/18-04-012-02.htm

I have the teraflex hinge so used some short black nylon tubes that I found at the hardware store to raise the license plate mount enough to clear the hinge on the passenger side of the mount.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went with just the Poison Spyder license plate holder and left the raised, painted area of the tailgate alone but may just use black paint to black it out since nobody makes a tramp stamp sans a logo:

http://shop.poisonspyder.com/JK-License-Plate-Mount-Wide-Vent-p/18-04-012-02.htm

I have the teraflex hinge so used some short black nylon tubes that I found at the hardware store to raise the license plate mount enough to clear the hinge on the passenger side of the mount.
That is a nice, clean solution.

I checked out your build thread (none of the pics worked but it could be my phone). I might have some questions for you soon...

I will be going from AEV to... something else too. I'm sure I will need some advice.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Here you go. I painted the bolts with white jeep touchup paint. Jeep hard top touch up paint is near perfect match to the teraflex hinge for scratch touch up and bolt paint.

I had some clear touch up from my white bmw with a GETRAG manual trans so I figured that makes it compatible and used that on the white bolts as well. I just used white nylon washers between the bolts and the body.

I tried spray painting the black plastic hole plugs. They look good for about two days before someone touches the plastic an cracks the paint. Just left them black.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Poison Spyder with their plateholder and brake/plate light combo. I also painted the tailgate hinge covers, ps plate plug, some plugs for the tire bumper holes, and rollbars with a spray can of mopar touch up paint from Quadratec...

·
Super Moderator
6,181 Posts
lotsa work and effort displayed in all of these creative 'dat @ss' modifications on JKs. ; purty cool, guys....all of them......havin a black 4 door, it never dawned on me to desire body colored hinge plates and the bumper plug holes, etc....cool stuff........jkowners is awesome.......:koolaid:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Crawler conceptz. It has everything Iwas lookin for...integrated hitch, simple, no tire carrier and shackle tabs. It comes raw, I painted it along with the swag plates, misc plugs, tag delete plug and I did the pinch seam in black.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Crawler conceptz. It has everything Iwas lookin for...integrated hitch, simple, no tire carrier and shackle tabs. It comes raw, I painted it along with the swag plates, misc plugs, tag delete plug and I did the pinch seam in black.
Do you trim the back end of the frame off and half of the cross bar like with the PS BFH bumper? They do look similar. The hitch is nice.

·
Registered
34 Posts
They are similar, its my understanding that he used to work at PS. I did cut out the cross member and trim back the frame rails. Its pretty straightforward, everything bolted in perfectly

·
Research, bro!
2,219 Posts
Vector Offroad. Got it primarily for the L bracket to mount light, rear gopro, etc off of it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the ideas!

This looks good but not a fan of the tail lights...

This looks great!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I
Looks awesome! Where did you get the handle insert? Does it get hot in the summer?

That bumper was on my short list. It was down to that one, the Savvy LHT, and VKS Fab. I got the VKS because I wanted a reciever and I like how he made it fit flush.
I'm tempted to color match everything too but I'm pretty hard on my stuff. I might have to get an extra gallon of paint for touch up. ..

1 - 20 of 51 Posts