JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know the differences in performance between an emulsion style shock and a monotube shock?

tia

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
Well, I am no Shock tech so I am sure somebody will correct me if I get this wrong....

My understanding is, is a emulsion shock, the nitrogen is mixed with the oil. So the oil and gas has to pass through the valvs each time it is compressed. Emulsion shocks work fine until they are really worked. Then, they tend to get hot and also all the gas and oil passing through gets microscopic bubels and loose their effectiveness at damening. Also, some need to be mounted vertically and can loose efectivness when you are not on the flat like when you are in the rocks, climbing steep hills or off camber.

The best choice would be full floating piston and a Monotube over Twin tube. The full floating pistons have a seeal between the nitrogen and oil that keeps it from mixing. In addition, resovior shocks have more oil and can help keep things cool.

Anyway, hope this helps some

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
Here is a diagram I found. You can see in a full floating shock the space from the piston to the resovoir floating piston is all filled with oil. The space on the otherside of the floating piston in the resovior is the nitrogen gass

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
So then what is the difference on a IAF shock? I don't even know what that stands for...

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
So then what is the difference on a IAF shock? I don't even know what that stands for...
The initialls IAF seems to ring a bell somewhere but I am not putting it together. I have no idea what that is. Maybe a brand? Hopefully somebuddy else will chime in here..

·
Registered
279 Posts
Edelbrock has an IAS shock, whatever the hell that is? I'm not sure if that was what he was referring too or not though.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
Edelbrock has an IAS shock, whatever the hell that is? I'm not sure if that was what he was referring too or not though.

If he was refering to IAS, that is just a name for Edelbrocks technology. As far as I understand it is a name for their valving technology...Inertia Active System

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Sorry yes IAS. I recall seeing it on the Poly shocks also and one other brand. So ultimately gas is the best response shock and most consistant for Dampening correct? It makes sense thanks for this thread as I'm planning out this next purchase.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
Sorry yes IAS. I recall seeing it on the Poly shocks also and one other brand...
Poly and other companies sell rebaged Edelbrock shocks so that would be why you see IAS on other brands. They are some of the best out there.

Some companies sell just rebaged Edelbrock shocks with generic, or vehicle specific valving. Poly Performance has done tons of testing and actually sell rebadged Edelbrock shocks with custom valving built to their own specs. This is why the Poly Monotube shocks are so good for the JK..specific/custom valving

·
Registered
229 Posts
IAS is an acceleration sensitive shock. It can determine how smooth or rough the terrain is and self compensates.

Edelbrock manufactures shocks for several other aftermarket companies. All are built to the respective manufacturers specifications and none have the Edelbrock technology.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The Edelbrocks are the BOMB>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts