JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's a good shock to put on with a 2.5" coil lift? And what length do I need? I'm looking at the Teraflex 2.5" Coil lift without shocks, or if anyone has had good reviews of the shocks that come with their lift, I'll go with them, but usually the ones that come with the kits aren't the best. Thanks for any input....

·
Vendor
2,326 Posts
Teraflex makes some nice shocks. Or if your looking at other brands their is the Bilstiens or the Synergy Suspension ones that wont break the bank and still offer a good ride. Or you could step up from there and look at the RRD's for Rock Krawler or the IFP's from Fox Shocks. Our customers have had great luck with all of the above!

Let me know if we can help or if you have any more questions...

-Jason

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
The Teraflex shocks for 3"-4" work great for 2.5" lift. I used there lower front and upper rear bump stops. No rubby de tubby..:D

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, if the Teraflex shocks are decent, then I'll just stick with them. I've never had experience with any of their shocks before. Thanks again...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the Teraflex 2.5" coil lift and originally went with their shocks. I badly damaged my right rear shock playing in the rocks and used that as an excuse to buy new Bilstein 5100s all the way around. I like the ride with the Bilsteins better. It's not as harsh in my opinion.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Does anyone know the extended and compressed lengths for shocks to be used with the 2.5" lift?
Is a 10" or 12" travel shock too much?

I don't like ordering a manufacturer's shock without knowing those numbers, and it also makes it easier to replace it with an "off-the-shelf" part if need be.

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
I run the 2.5" TF coil lift with all the fixins, TF 9550 shocks included. Ride is a bit harsher than stock Rubicon. I'll probably run them for another year or so and then get some Bilsteins or OMEs. Not bad for the money and since they came with the kit I ordered, they were discounted even more. They're not bad and have enjoyed them, but not sure I would buy them at full retail price if I had other options.

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,651 Posts
Does anyone know the extended and compressed lengths for shocks to be used with the 2.5" lift?
Is a 10" or 12" travel shock too much?

I don't like ordering a manufacturer's shock without knowing those numbers, and it also makes it easier to replace it with an "off-the-shelf" part if need be.

Thanks!!
Let's see if we can throw some useful information in here and answer your question. :D

The Tera-Flex and Rock Krawler 2.5" kits lift the vehicle about the same height so I'd use the dimensions below for your new shocks. A 10 or 11 inch travel shock fits right into where you'll want to be with the shock length.

Generic Front Shock Recommendation - 16" Collapsed to 27" Extended

Generic Rear Shock Recommendation - 16" Collapsed to 26" Extended

If you want to go with Bilsteins, order these:

Front - BE5-E578-HO

Rear - BE5-E671-HO

If you want to stick with TF9550s - see below. I don't have the measurements handy on these shocks but I would tend to lean on the longer shocks, as mentioned above in another post.

http://www.teraflex.biz/jk-9550-vss-shocks-2-5-all-4.html#first

http://www.teraflex.biz/jk-9550-vss-shocks-3-4-all-4.html

From experience (also mentioned above) the Bilstein 5100 will give a more supple ride but does a very good job of remaining firm where you need it. Tera-Flex is one of the few companies that includes shocks with their lifts that ARE of decent quality.

The 5100 or the 9550 are a good choice. If you need further assistance, input, or pricing just give me a shout. :beer:

Marcus

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Let's see if we can throw some useful information in here and answer your question. :D

The Tera-Flex and Rock Krawler 2.5" kits lift the vehicle about the same height so I'd use the dimensions below for your new shocks. A 10 or 11 inch travel shock fits right into where you'll want to be with the shock length.

Front - BE5-E578-HO

Rear - BE5-E671-HO

If you want to stick with TF9550s - see below. I don't have the measurements handy on these shocks but I would tend to lean on the longer shocks, as mentioned above in another post.

From experience (also mentioned above) the Bilstein 5100 will give a more supple ride but does a very good job of remaining firm where you need it. Tera-Flex is one of the few companies that includes shocks with their lifts that ARE of decent quality.

The 5100 or the 9550 are a good choice. If you need further assistance, input, or pricing just give me a shout. :beer:

Marcus
Aren't you supposed to be "out of the office" professor?

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I just swapped my TF 2.5 to a RK 2.5 (I know but it all works out for me). I had the coil/shock kit. I replaced the TF shocks with Bilsten. TF is a stiff ride, if you like that then you will be fine, if you want a softer ride, go with Bilsten.

·
Registered
93 Posts

Front - BE5-E578-HO

Rear - BE5-E671-HO

Marcus
Thanks for the fast response!
Exactly the info I was looking for!!! :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey Marcus. I was sold these part numbers for a TF 2.5 coil lift. It seems ok on road but i haven't been offroad yet. Do you think it will cause any problems?

Bilstein 5100s

Part Number: 33-186887
*Collapsed Length (IN): 16.96
*Extended Length (IN): 27.36
Old Part Number: F4-BE5-E175-H0

Part Number: 24-186872
*Collapsed Length (IN): 16.41
*Extended Length (IN): 27.56
Old Part Number: F4-BE5-E174-H0

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,651 Posts
No sir! You'll have some extra flex with them which isn't a bad thing. Your bump stops will keep your suspension in check.

You've got shocks that we recommend for the 3.5" kits from Rock Krawler and this lengths should be similar to what the other guys mentioned with their 3-4" TF shocks on the 2.5 kit.

Go have some fun and check out all the droop you've got. :)

This iPad is hard to type on btw...lol

Marcus

1 - 14 of 14 Posts