JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rotate the tires approximately every 6000 miles. The current tires BFG All Terrain have about 25k miles on them. After the last rotation, there was a strong shimmy starting at around 55 MPH and persisting up to 75 MPH. That shimmy is getting worse after about 1000 miles. I'm going to rotate them again this weekend. Any recommendations of things to look for or to do?

2010 JK Rubicon Unlimited with about 75,000 miles.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Definitely have them re-balanced.

I would also check the torque on your front track-bar and maybe look at the condition of your hub-bearings and ball-joints. Re-balance at the very least.

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
Get them rebalanced. Speed dependent shimmy is usually out of balance tires.

But as stubbie said check track bar bolts and holes for ovaling.

·
Random Dude
3,039 Posts
^^^ What Stub and USMC said.

I've had good luck with BFG ATs on past vehicles, but they do get weird quickly wear-wise.
Check your balance, and consider cutting tire rotation interval in half.
Hopefully it's just balance, but if they're cupping you may need to have them shaved (hope not :th_pray:).

A buddy of mine had to throw away a set of BFG ATs at ~10K miles because he didn't rotate them.
He concluded, "these tires suck", but I loved the same tires on a similar pickup with similar use.
The difference?: rotation every 2500-3K miles. "Your mileage may vary" :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll take them in for balancing and check the other items as well. I'll post back up with resolution.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I would also say play with the PSI.. I have had allot of issues resolved by checking and correcting pressure.. just my 02

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. I took the jeep to the Firestone shop where I had the tires mounted. Lifetime free balancing, so it didn't even cost me anything. AND it resolved the shimmy. I will rotate more frequently, and as soon as it warms up, I'll check the other items.

Chris

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
Similar to the "Wrench", I do a 5 tire rotation and oil change every 3500 miles. I have a little over 120,000 miles on my Rubi and I just put on the third set of BFG's not to long ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts