JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my gf told me that I really needed a deck in my backyard so I decided to bite the bullet and use the long weekend to start construction. After three straight 10 hour days and 95 degree temps I'm finished with the deck. I'm going to work on the pergola over the top of it this week after work.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Looking good! :beer:

·
Registered
11,063 Posts
I saw the first pic and thought WTH you have a patio and a flat yard. How can you possibly have a deck.

Very creative, looking good.:beer:

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Very cool deck, I like the pattern as well. You may want to put some plastic and stone down under it to help keep weeds and grass from growing up through it though

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking good! :beer:
Thanks!

I saw the first pic and thought WTH you have a patio and a flat yard. How can you possibly have a deck.

Very creative, looking good.:beer:
Ha, yeah there's a pretty good slope. About a 3 and a half foot drop. I'm going to put stones between my existing patio and the deck. it will all be flush when I'm done.

You can start work this weekend on mine. :beer: Looks good, do you live in turtle ridge?
Whenever your ready!

Yeah in turtle ridge. When you leave farmington go straight through the stop sign on hugh ward and I'm the second house on right.

Digging the pattern for the decking. That's pretty cool.:beer:
Thanks. I wanted something a little different. It's A LOT of extra work though. I tend to punish myself with my creativity. :shaking:

Very cool deck, I like the pattern as well. You may want to put some plastic and stone down under it to help keep weeds and grass from growing up through it though
Thanks! Can't see it in the pics but I did go ahead and put a weed barrier down :)

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
nice work, I have built many a deck over the years, hate the work but the finished projects are always nice

·
Banned
5,606 Posts
How come you didn't but it up to the concrete slab?

Just curious because I am planning on building a deck this fall and my patio area is kind of like yours. Looks good man.

My wife wishes I had a bick deck

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
How come you didn't but it up to the concrete slab?

Just curious because I am planning on building a deck this fall and my patio area is kind of like yours. Looks good man.

My wife wishes I had a bick deck
If you do that, you need some kind of barrier between them. Also, wood and concrete are going to expand and contract at different rates. you will end up with a gap between sometimes, and then them pushing into each other at other times. Moisture trapped between will cause the wood to rot faster, and acid in the concrete will cause it to rot the wood as well

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you do that, you need some kind of barrier between them. Also, wood and concrete are going to expand and contract at different rates. you will end up with a gap between sometimes, and then them pushing into each other at other times. Moisture trapped between will cause the wood to rot faster, and acid in the concrete will cause it to rot the wood as well
Exactly. That's why I didn't use concrete to set my post. I used mixing gravel because it doesn't hold moisture like concrete.

I also wanted a level transition from my deck to my patio. So instead of having to dig out the dirt and sod leading up to my patio for the deck to be flush, I decided to lay flat stone between the deck and patio.

When I finish up I'll post some pics of the finished product.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Wait! I am confused. Are you not using pressure treated wood?
It's not pressure treated wood anymore, its a salt treatment and it doesn't hold up as well as the old pressure treated stuff. Then again people got sick from the chemicals used in the pressure treated woods, so I guess it's a trade-off

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
You See

:lol: I was waiting for it!

I started to go there and everyone was expressing their best wishes and construction tips and I said to myself "self don't do that" !!! But someone always does........

JKO is like Gilligan's Island..... people keep showing up and no one knows how they got there.........

:beer:

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Yeah in turtle ridge. When you leave farmington go straight through the stop sign on hugh ward and I'm the second house on right.
Yeah I noticed whenever I went to napa I could see the post, me and the wife are considering building in Deer Park. I may consult you whenever I go to build our deck.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts