JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok... I'm thinking about purchasing a Shaffer's Offroad bumper.

The one I'm looking at is there Gen2 bumper...
http://www.shaffersoffroad.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=1038&osCsid=2a7c08b7888c6e591a8ad5fcbed2efda

but with their Gen1 stinger bar...

I have already spoke with them and they can put the Gen1 stinger bar on the Gen2 bumper no problem. I have another pm out to them right now to see if there is anyway to have it so that it's not an offset winch mount bumper as I just can't get use to that look of the fair lead not being dead center.

I'm getting rid of my ORFab stinger because I have a set of 9" Lightforce 240s that I want to mount and the stinger bar obstructs the beam pattern so I need a bumper with a wider opening. Dave at Shaffer's has said that it will be a close fit but will work.

I could also just say fuck the larger stinger bar and run the Gen2 as it is and mount the 9" lights to the top of the bar.

Anyone have these bumpers? What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
If you cut the towers off the bash bar you have nothing in the rear to hook to. Most people don't do this, I guess I'm not most people:) I have to fabricate a rear mount.

If you don't have the E-Disco I don't see why they can't move it to center as long as you don't use a PowerPlant or other winch with a large mass on the Pass Side.

If you have an E-Disco and you rotate the motor up to get the control box out of the way, you have to grind enough metal out of the winch platform to compromise E.D. on the Pass/Aft mounting Hole.

The overall bumper is nice and It clears obstacles well.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you cut the towers off the bash bar you have nothing in the rear to hook to. Most people don't do this, I guess I'm not most people:) I have to fabricate a rear mount.

If you don't have the E-Disco I don't see why they can't move it to center as long as you don't use a PowerPlant or other winch with a large mass on the Pass Side.

If you have an E-Disco and you rotate the motor up to get the control box out of the way, you have to grind enough metal out of the winch platform to compromise E.D. on the Pass/Aft mounting Hole.

The overall bumper is nice and It clears obstacles well.
guess i'm getting a little more use to the offset look. will look 1000 times better once i get synthetic line and a hawse fairlead.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Looks good with the short bar IMO. I think with some winches you'll need the offset mount(+ if you don't have it dropped down in, it blocks half of your grill) and like you say, with a hawse fairlead, you won't notice it near as much!

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have the first gen stinger. The body of the the bumper is not the best looking...but i love the stinger. I prefer the "flatter" top of the stinger to the pointy v shaped. And yes...i scratched my head for a few minutes at the offset winch mount. I do like the new bumper with the smaller bar. Im kinda growing old of the stinger...and everyone has one now. I purley have mine because 1. it was cheap off craigslist 2. my 2 dr coming down the shelves and drops in moab get me puckered so i figured the protection is worth it.

EDIT: does anyone have a pic yet of the new one on a jeep????

·
Registered
553 Posts
A few pic's

I will get some better ones after powder coating and getting it installed

·
Registered
1,102 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
I like the gen2 version, how much was shipping it says it could be $120-140, seems to be a deal braker for me.

·
Registered
647 Posts
any pics yet?

Yeah the shipping cost does seem pretty crazy. i had 4 wheels and tires shipped UPS for half that.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Let's see some pictures of that bad-boy installed.
I've been looking for a beefy front that has integrated lights.
This looks like it fits the bill.
How much does it cost to get it powder coated?

·
Registered
553 Posts
A few cell phone pics, I will get better ones after I get the Fogs mounted. I still need a winch.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
very nice man!
mine should be here anyday... was kinda hoping it would be sitting in the driveway when i got home from work so i could paint it tomorrow and install it with all the fixins.

i hate waiting for shit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts