JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Forgive me im new to the JK's, but for 35's what is the ideal gear ratio for
2011 4spd auto unlimited and 35's? id like to keep highway/road manners/gas 'mileage' as good as i can. This leads me to another question...

Do we have any tire recommendations for 90% road 10% trail. It needs to be great in snow/rain and wear very well.
I was thinking like toyo open country, goodyear duratracs, super swamper m16big horns etc. mostly seeing highway miles and lightweight, but not something id have to be afraid to get muddy either. loudness doesnt matter at all to me.

id like to change out my rims but am considering painting and keeping them on just to save some $. what size 35 and 33 would you guys recommend for 17" stock rims? On the other hand if i did change rims what backspacing and width would be best?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
For gears, i would 4.88 or 5.13. The tire choices you mentioned are all good. Some may bash the Toyos for weight but ar the end of the day it all boils down to what you like and how much you want to spend

·
Registered
231 Posts
Here's a vote for the Toyo's. Yes they're heavy but I've gotten 68,000 miles out of my 35's -- there is still enough tread left on them that when I bring up getting 37's my wife points at them and says there's still way too much tire left to be thinking about new ones so make sure they are the ones you want! I do rotate through all 5 every 4,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Right now I run 5.13's with 35's on my auto and I find it perfect. When I switch to 37's I'm thinking I should've maybe gone to 5.38's, but time will tell.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its pretty funny comming from Tj's. seemed like with those you did things in simple stages but with a jk its like stage one =37's. lol
37's sound tempting but im going to try and keep this Jeep realistic and minimal down time along the way. 35's are gonna be biggest i run for a long time unless gas prices drop back to a buck a gallon. (remember those days!?)
any input on rim sizes/backspacing?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I went with 16" wheels to keep my sidewall as big as possible for off roading purposes, I wont go that often but I dont want to have a problem when I do!
I went with 4" BS because I had them on my last JK, no rub and it doesn't stick out too much from the fenders.
I am on my second set of Baja MTZ's, they work great in all weather conditions on and off road.
Gears are tricky, I have 35's on mine and will be doing about the same 90% on road, 10% off and I don't think I will be going any higher than 4.56's. Last time I had 35's with 5.13s and it was way too much gear and I hated driving it on the highway.

This is just my opinion, there are many options out there. I am just sharing my own experience.

Good luck with your build!

·
Registered
118 Posts
id like to change out my rims but am considering painting and keeping them on just to save some $. what size 35 and 33 would you guys recommend for 17" stock rims? On the other hand if i did change rims what backspacing and width would be best?
35/12.5/17r is a good size tire for a rim of 17x9. backspacing depends really. many people say 4.5, but you can go from 3.75-4.5, i'd suggest a 4.5 myself, even though my backspacing is 5".

if you stick with stock rims, you'll need spacers for a tire that is 35/12.5 since the standard OEM wheels i believe are around 6.25 backspacing.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i like tires that stick out a bit further. there arent really any laws, at least that get enforced to any extent, here in eastern kentucky. :)
a friend of mine has ran fenderless for the longest time...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.