JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short. I've been driving around with the ticking sound from the clutch (throwout bearing) for about a year. yesterday i finally decided to call and make an appointment to get it checked out. Now after reading through multiple threads i assumed they would see the issue and fix it under warranty. well that wasnt the case. they want at least 700 bucks to drop the trans to "see" what the problem is. guess thats why they're called "stealerships". i thing i dont understand is that theres a tsb for this issue on 07's but obviously this issue is present in later models. Chrysler needs to man up and fix this problem. until then does anyone know where i could get the TECHCONNECT so i can fix this myself. ive seen something on ebay but i wonder if they're legit.

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
i belive you need a new throwout bearing,
step 1 remove t-case and tranny
step 2 replace throwout bearing
step 3 put it back together

3 simple step

i had mine fixed for free at the dealer

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
I'm not sure how they could drop the trans to "see what it is" and it not be 95% of the repair bill. Once you've gone that far, a $50 throwout bearing isn't a deal breaker. They can't just go around throwing parts at peoples vehicles and expect them to get fixed. TSB doesn't mean a whole lot and doesn't mean the part wasn't updated/changed on later models.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Not a good thing when it actually goes out because you're stuck.

The job sounds simple and essentially the steps themselves really are. Undo driveshafts, undo bolts, drop tranny, replace parts, bring tranny back up, bolt back up. However, it's a pain in the butt to do and takes a while. For dealer rates, that price sounds about right, but check around.... Any mechanic can do it and if their rates are lower, then that's what I would go with if you don't have the tools to do it yourself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts