JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else having trouble with the "wireless" key system for locking and unlocking your JK? I didn'r really want this "security system" when I bought my JK but it was the only Rubicon available and it had it.

Sometimes when I press the lock button on the key it actually works!

Much of the time it simply doesn't lock the vehicle. I try pressing it again and again. Sometimes that works, sometimes not. Sometimes if I press unlock and then lock, it works, sometimes not. Sometimes I wait a little bit and then it works, sometimes not. Same thing for Unlock. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

I tried replacing the battery after a couple of months and that seemed to help but it's now wacky again (after a couple more months - surely the batteries must last longer than this).

Just wondering if anyone else has this problem or has suggestions or solutions.

And, what a brain dead system this is. I thought, fine, I'll just lock the doors with the electric locks on the inside door panel and then use the physical key to open them. Oh, no. If you lock the doors with the electric door lock buttons, step out of the vehicle and close the door and later use YOUR OWN FRIGGIN' KEY to unlock the door, the horn goes off until you put the key in the ignition and turn it to ON. What brain dead Chrysler engineer thought that one up. For the life of me I can't imagine what he was thinking. And, if you say, OK, I'll just lock the doors with my key and unlock them with my key, that only locks the driver's door, not the passenger door. So if you have this system, you better hope that your little electric key thingy works. Otherwise, you be screwed!

Chrysler, give me a break. No one pays the least bit of attention to these "security alarms" anyway. They're useless except as instruments of torture to be used against your customers. Anyone know how to just turn the damn security system off?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Does the other key(you did get another key, right?) do the same thing?
I've had no problem with mine at all. More dumb luck I guess.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the other key(you did get another key, right?) do the same thing?
I've had no problem with mine at all. More dumb luck I guess.
Yes, the other key is the same. I also bought a third (whoa, there goes the retirement) and it behaves similarly.

Does yours ever take a long time to lock or unlock, like 4 or 5 seconds or is it pretty much instantaneous? I noticed today when it wasn't working that if I just held the button for about 5 seconds it did finally operate. I don't know if that is the "cure" or if it was just this once. Most of the time when mine works it is pretty much instantaneous.

·
Registered
irate4x4 dot com
1,795 Posts
I think I'm getting mixed signals on whether you like the elect. locks or not.;)

I wonder if an aftermarket alarm with their key fob and junk would help or exasperate the problem.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Yes, the other key is the same. I also bought a third (whoa, there goes the retirement) and it behaves similarly.

Does yours ever take a long time to lock or unlock, like 4 or 5 seconds or is it pretty much instantaneous? I noticed today when it wasn't working that if I just held the button for about 5 seconds it did finally operate. I don't know if that is the "cure" or if it was just this once. Most of the time when mine works it is pretty much instantaneous.
Mine is instantaneously. Is that a word? If it does it with all three keys, your problem is the Jeep, not the keys. I'd take it by the dealer and have them take a look. May need a reflash. Good luck!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine is instantaneously. Is that a word? If it does it with all three keys, your problem is the Jeep, not the keys. I'd take it by the dealer and have them take a look. May need a reflash. Good luck!
Yep, it's a word! I agree that it is the Jeep but was just wondering if others were seeing the same thing or if it was just me.

I'll put it on the list for the next trip to the dealer.

Thanks for all the information!

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
My remote keys work just fine, never had a single problem or delay with them. I suspect there is something wrong with yours, maybe the receiver is faulty?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts