JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my pitman arm is coated in fluid. What would cause this? What do I need to do to fix it?

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Im worried my steering is gonna start to go. The power steering fluid container is still full so....idk

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That sucks. Im hoping that I can get the dealer to replace it under warranty as I assume that is not something that would be related to
abuse or neglect. Maybe im wrong IDK. I know certain dealerships will pull out all the punches to prevent from covering things. So basically I am just slowly leaking power steering fluid correct? Im wondering if this is something I need to address immediately or if it is something I coud hold off on for a lil while and check every day or so....

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good luck with the dealership! I see in your sig it shows you're running 35s. They are more than likely gonna refuse warranty as they will state that the larger tires added more strain to the steering box.
Yeah, its worth a shot though. Some dealerships are cool w/it.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It certainly is not leaking a ton of fluid, just a small amount onto the pitman arm. As stated I havent noticed any changes in my steering so....

·
Registered
24 Posts
I carry a spare sector shaft in mine now as it is a 2010 with about 12k miles on it and the shaft completely broke after an accident going less than 20mph. I didn't even try going to dealer as I know they would B*tch about the 37s

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
What do I need to do? Is the whole box toast or can I just replace the seals? Any aftermarket gear boxes out there? From what I understand, it seems that the available options are pretty limited, other than hydro assist. If I could go that route, I would, but I do not have the cash to do that right now unfortunately.

The sector shaft splines do not appear to be twisted, so I assume that is not the issue. Busted seal? Is this something I need to be really concerned with? I have been checking my power steering level every couple days to make sure it is not close to empty.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The dealer declined your warranty on it?
Unfortunately, my warranty expired. I am looking into getting it renewed, but in order for that to happen, they have to do what they call a "one hour"

They basically go over everything to make sure it is warranty worthy I assume. And no doubt they will find this, and tell me that I need to get it fixed before any warranty is issued. At this point I do not even know if it is worth it. I may give it a shot just to see if they will indeed even renew it considering the mods I have done. From what I understand, this dealer can be hit or miss in regards to offering coverage to those with bigger tires/lift. So I would like to see what I can do about this before I even attempt to renew the warranty.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.