JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any are on here. I see a lot of them around and some really nice ones. I just want to get to know them :beer:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm in West Bloomfield, always looking for someone/somewhere to wheel. we go up to Atlanta a lot, great trail system. I'm also into modding the Jeep. Just did a suspension lift and ready to add wheels and 35s.

G Muddy

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I need to break the cherry on my jeep, where can we go this time of year. I still have me stock steps so no sliders.:beer:

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'm up here in Fenton by Oz.

There is The Mounds in Mt Morris. It is pretty much muddy icebergs this time of year. I really recommend mud tires for that. It will eat your stock side steps and spit them out.

There are a lot of two tracks up around West branch that may or may not be a safe challenge for a stock Sahara.

·
Registered
84 Posts
That looks like the Mounds...
It's actually some random trails across the street from my parents in White Lake, I do however have many pictures from the Mounds.

I have never been to the Mounds in winter, but it is fun in the summer, been there a lot since I went to school in Flint and the ORV club always went there. Now that I have my tax return I will be doing my lift, tires, and wheels and will be ready for anything.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm up here in Fenton by Oz.

There is The Mounds in Mt Morris. It is pretty much muddy icebergs this time of year. I really recommend mud tires for that. It will eat your stock side steps and spit them out.

There are a lot of two tracks up around West branch that may or may not be a safe challenge for a stock Sahara.
I have a 4" lift with 35's M/T, I was just worried about the steps. This is my DD and I still owe A LOT of $ on it so I really don't want to trash it. saying that, I want to wheel it, if that makes sense :thefinger:

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Personally, I'm not really a fan of the Mounds. Some of the trails are ok, but everything is so overgrown and Genesee County won't let us go in an try to clean it up. The rest of it is deep mud pits that are bottomless because of the guys on tractor tires. The rock course is ok though. Don't get me wrong, I go there too often, but it's only because it's close and there aren't really any other options nearby.

If you want to "pop it's cherry" let's go up to West Branch. Lots of decent trails, and with the snow it'll be a good time. There isn't really anything that will grab your steps and rip them off either. It's mostly some hilly trails coupled with the snow and ice should be a good time. I know the trails rather well up there and have a pretty extensive collection of gps tracks so we should be good.

jkmorrow, name the time when your avaiable. I have Mon / Tues off. If there is enough notice, I could likely get a weekend day off. I would be Alter Ego would join us. Him and I both have winches to pull you out too! lol

I'll extend this invite to anyone else who wants to go too.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would be up for going, I do not work weekends. I also have a winch, but would a stock sport make it through these trails? I just got it in November and have not had much time or money yet to do what I want since I just got out of school. Once it is a little warmer though, things will be happening for sure.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I would be up for going, I do not work weekends. I also have a winch, but would a stock sport make it through these trails? I just got it in November and have not had much time or money yet to do what I want since I just got out of school. Once it is a little warmer though, things will be happening for sure.
It all depends on the snow depth. Currently, the snow isn't so deep that you need real tall tires, but something more aggressive would be your friend. The stockers on your Sport would likely be a bit outgunned. In the spring, you would likely have more fun, as it'll be wet. However, it's mostly sand up there so for the most part you should hit any deep pits or anything.

·
Registered
494 Posts
JKMorrow

I guess I didn't pay enough attention to your signature, sorry.

You have enough suspension and tire for The Mounds, but you always risk body damage. Some guys pull off their side steps for wheeling trips because they break easily.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well if they get broke it just gives me an excuse to get sliders ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yeah, the stock 17" wheels with the 32" Goodyear Wrangler SR-A's are terrible in thick mud. I used them at the mounds back in November and they would fill up so fast I would just slip around until stuck in a rut. The tires I had on my Commander, forgot which ones were much better in the mud. Now that I have my tax refund though, I will be getting some 35" Wrangler MT/R's, just have to get to Belle Tire to get them and new wheels, and order my lift kit from Teraflex.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Yeah, the stock 17" wheels with the 32" Goodyear Wrangler SR-A's are terrible in thick mud. I used them at the mounds back in November and they would fill up so fast I would just slip around until stuck in a rut. The tires I had on my Commander, forgot which ones were much better in the mud. Now that I have my tax refund though, I will be getting some 35" Wrangler MT/R's, just have to get to Belle Tire to get them and new wheels, and order my lift kit from Teraflex.
Hurry and get it done. We can get a group together and all go wheel.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey I'm in for that :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hurry and get it done. We can get a group together and all go wheel.
My 3" TF lift should be coming this Wednesday or Thursday, I am going to be ordering my 35" MTRk's tomorrow or the next day, I just need to find wheels or get them mounted on my stock 17's temporarily. I am trying to find some black 17" steel wheels, any ideas? I don't really like any at belle tire.

I should be up and running soon then, probably install the lift this weekend and hopefully the tires also.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Lift is on, tires are getting mounted next Saturday. After that I will be wanting to do some wheeling to test the new setup.

Just let me know when and where.

·
Registered
100 Posts
OX97tj -------- I am living in Royal Oak but work in Fenton..I want to get in on some of these wheelin trips... My Sahara is going in the shop in 1-2 weeks for a 4 inch lift and 35 KM2s and I should be ready to go...PM me when you guys get a weekend set up....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts