JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

The first couple times I removed and installed my hardtop I accidently scratched up my paint on the top of the doors. Well, what I thought it was a scratch is actually a white deposit from the inside of the hardtop. Does anyone know what this stuff is or an easy way to get it off?

Many thanks,

Zac

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hehe... Same here, Zac!

After a week, still no replies! :shaking:

I scratched up the black paint on my nice, new '08 4dr Rubicon, mostly on the right, rear side near the back corner. I think it's a combination of that white fiberglass dust from the hard-top trying to go back on and, probably, also some real paint scratching as the sheet metal got slightly depressed. :pissed:

I should have known this was a job a bit too large for me and grouchy wife!

A mobile detailer guy examined it and tells me he thinks he can buff it all out but we haven't done that yet. I'll keep you advised.

Meanwhile, is there a thread somewhere, here, with some genius advice about designing a rig that will winch the hardtop off in a more classy way??

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have found Mr Clean Magic Eraser is great for a lot of those hard to remove things. It works awesome on tree rub marks around the windshield. Give it a go on your problem

·
Registered
962 Posts
Hey guys,

The first couple times I removed and installed my hardtop I accidently scratched up my paint on the top of the doors. Well, what I thought it was a scratch is actually a white deposit from the inside of the hardtop. Does anyone know what this stuff is or an easy way to get it off?

Many thanks,

Zac
Do you have a four door? I can't really even get my top off without removing the doors first (2dr). I kinda have a rule though, if the top comes off so do the doors:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't have a hard top, so no advice for the paint. Here's a writeup for a hard top hoist...

http://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1323
Thanks, BigO! Interesting project there! I've been wondering if those engine lifts or whatever they are called can be extended high enough to hoist a 4-dr. hard top clear of the Jeep! My garage ceiling is about 12 ft. high and I don't look forward to alot of huffing and puffing up there! :shaking:

·
Registered
247 Posts
I know this is kinda late...but if you havent found a fix for your problem...I have always used Mothers Pre-Wax Cleaner to get small scratches out of my jeeps. Works well for door dings, branch scrapes...pretty much the light scratches that leave the "white residue" stuff.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Possible fix?

Hey Mike here
I have been painting cars and trucks for 20 yrs, so I think I can offer some good advice.
If you can feel the "scratch with your finger nail , it may be able to be wet sanded and buffed to minimize.( I would leave this to a pro, if you dont know what you are doing, you can easily sand thru the clear!!!!!) This removes some of the clear coat, which is probably what you are seeing as the "white stuff". Hopefully you have just marred the surface, if that is the case, you can always rub the mark off. I use at my shop for this kind of thing, lacquer thinner, it usually takes a mark right off, then go back over it with some wax. The thinner will strip all of the wax off.
Hope you can fix , with minimal effort!
Mike:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts