JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been looking at harnesses, I searched and only came up with more questions. I have a 2 door with stock seats, I'm wondering what the purpose of the harness bar is and if it is needed/available for a 2dr. I have been looking at this Corbeau 4 point harness here and it looks like it mounts to the seat mounting holes? I need to replace a seized up seat belt and know I want harnesses eventually, just dont want to put stock belts back in only to replace them again when I upgrade seat an all that. As far as safety, I have seen a bunch of people say its not safe without the harness bar but I dont understand why. Seat belts just limit your body's movement in the seat and hold you against the seat so I what am I missing here?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
You need the harness bar to attach the shoulder portion of the harness too. You actually want the shoulder mount attachments to be 2-3 inches lower than the top of your shoulder. You do not want to mount the shoulder harness to the floor. Those tabs on that harness are made to attach the harness to a tab on the harness bar or rollcage.

For instance, I run the the Rock Hard harness bar and use the wrap around shoulder harness and floor mount tabs for the lap belt and submarine belt.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I wouldn't want harnesses as my only belts in a DD. With my harnesses on I can't even turn to see if anything is in my blind spot.
x2

most street and trail rigs that run harnesses leave the stock belts in for the road.

as said before, the harness bar gives the shoulder harness the correct position to prevent hurting your back should you need to use it.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Blind spot mirror?
It would help. They still wouldn't be very comfortable to wear every day. I have the stock belts back on my cage for this very reason.

OP it looks like you are local. You are welcome to come check mine out and see what you think. I have a 2-door rock hard harness bar laying in my garage you can have for cheap if you decide you like it.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You need the harness bar to attach the shoulder portion of the harness too. You actually want the shoulder mount attachments to be 2-3 inches lower than the top of your shoulder. You do not want to mount the shoulder harness to the floor. Those tabs on that harness are made to attach the harness to a tab on the harness bar or rollcage.

For instance, I run the the Rock Hard harness bar and use the wrap around shoulder harness and floor mount tabs for the lap belt and submarine belt.
I understand what your getting at but this was taken directly from the corbeau website

"Corbeau 2 Inch Harness Belts have the rare ability to be bolted to all your factory provided mounting points. What that means is all our hardware was manufactured to bolt right up to your factory bolt holes. In most cases no drilling or modifications are necessary, they just bolt right in."

the harness bar and rollcage would be drilling and modifications, thats where Im confused. I think I need to call corbeau and see what they say.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I understand what your getting at but this was taken directly from the corbeau website

"Corbeau 2 Inch Harness Belts have the rare ability to be bolted to all your factory provided mounting points. What that means is all our hardware was manufactured to bolt right up to your factory bolt holes. In most cases no drilling or modifications are necessary, they just bolt right in."

the harness bar and rollcage would be drilling and modifications, thats where Im confused. I think I need to call corbeau and see what they say.
Just because you can do it doesn't make it right. I've seen a lot of their harnesses where the front shoulder harnesses "Y" and click into the rear seat buckles. That isn't the right way to do it and in an accident it can compress your spine.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
The Rock Hard bar is close as you are going to get to something bolted in. I only run my harnesses off road and never on road. I still have the stock seat and seat belts for everyday.

Yes, I am sure the website says you can bolt it to the stock locations, but it does not make it right. My Simpson harness bolts to the stock locations in the floor, but not for the shoulder.

You can see how mine are here. They make a harness bar for the 2-door also.

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
harnesses look cool, but i hate wearing my 5 points. I pretty much always just wear my lap belt.

on the trail with the 5 points on i cant lean over and look outside the jeep, i'm stuck watching a spotter (if i have one which is rare) or taking them off.

my wife however likes having them on at all times.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
harnesses look cool, but i hate wearing my 5 points. I pretty much always just wear my lap belt.

on the trail with the 5 points on i cant lean over and look outside the jeep, i'm stuck watching a spotter (if i have one which is rare) or taking them off.

I agree 9 times out of 10, I just wear the lap and sub belt.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I hear ya I move around alot tryin to get a good view of obstacles its the passenger side belt thats seized and the g/f would be the first to get the harness. But after reading all of this I gotta do a bit more research to do it right I certainly dont want to do something that will hurt her back any more then it already is. thanx for the info everyone, Im glad I posted here before being the typical consumer an saying "well the company says it will work so Im doing it".

I wasnt thinking about the downward force the shoulder straps would apply if mounted so low.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I've got 5-pointsin mine and still use the stock belt for the road. It's too uncomfortable to use them on the road. You want some movement to shift your body or your head when you're driving. I only use them on the trails, especially when I know I'm about to do something reall stupid, lol.:thefinger:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.