JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just returned from the Rubicon. I went in with a large group of JKO members but a buddy of mine, who drove his TJ on 33s, broke while trying to climb a tough ledge as we climbed out of the granite bowl. ( snapped rear pinion shaft.) I towed him back to the trailhead and he drove as far as he could in front wheel drive, until fluid started spewing out the rear diff. I went back and didn't catch up until little sluice, where part of the group had lunch and ran the sluice box. Wheeled down to buck island, where I camped for 3 days. Mostly relaxed around camp, explored and fished. We camped at the end of the lake, just before the trail starts to climb to the top of big sluice. Not far from the falls that feed buck island lake. Turned out to be excellent camping there. Highly recommend this spot. The water was cold. Too cold to swim but managed to bathe. Snow on the highest peaks. Hiked up the falls, which turned out to be four sets of falls with pools below each one. Fast water too. Made it to rockbound lake which is about 1/2 mile as the crow flies from buck. Maybe 1 1/2 mile hike. We were on the right track, last year when we hiked over the granite, around the cove. Have to go up higher on the granite to get around. We fought through tall brush to get to rockbound lake. Can't see any way around it. Next time I'm bringing a machette. Worth the hike to get to rockbound. The lake is stunning; very deep and clear water. Fished for a good 4 hours and caught 7 trout. I let 4 go. All good size fish. The group left sunday. I left monday morning. Very much enjoyed my time out there. Wheeled back to loon lake too. That made for a shorter trip home. Put together a vid and some pics on youtube. The vid would only upload in 240p so the full screen version looks like crap. Not sure why it wouldn't upload in hd.

Rob

‪Scenes From The Rubicon‬‏ - YouTube

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Awesome perspective..thats a vacation. We should have fished together..you and Blake kicked ass that weekend

·
Vendor
1,316 Posts
Are the falls at the beginning of the vid, from Rockbound to Buck Island? Is the lake at minute 3, Rockbound?

Great stuff. Wish I could get up there.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are the falls at the beginning of the vid, from Rockbound to Buck Island? Is the lake at minute 3, Rockbound?

Great stuff. Wish I could get up there.

Yes, Rockbound feeds into Buck Island. At 3 min., that's Buck Island at the opposite end from the dam. First shots of Rockbound are at 6 min. Rockbound is 2 to 3 timeslarger than Buck Island.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts