JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what scan tools are you guys using? as of now I dont even own one :p (Never threw a code that needed reading) I just wanted to see whats the most popular tool among jeep guys. I personally am looking into a professional level tool. Ive used Snap-On's MODIS and its great for diag but how does Chrysler's StarSCAN compare? Ive never used one and coming from someone that has only owned Chrysler cars (Including family members) I feel like it could come in handy. As of right now I can pick up a StarSCAN online for around $6K new or I could get Snap-Ons new VERUS tool for just under $10k (I could buy a TJ for that kind of money!) or I could get a used MODIS and have it upgraded in the area of $3-5k. Just spit balling crazy ideas, no plans to buy just yet. :bounce:

· Registered
11,420 Posts
This for personal use? It'd be fun to play with but even as a Master ASE and Master BMW tech I don't own a personal high-end scan tool. It's easy enough to pull common faults, my Superchips will pull live-data pretty decently.

If you're looking to buy one just for your JK, that's quite a stout tool investment with little return IMO. Unless you want to have a bunch of "new friends" with broken cars and a lighter wallet. :D

· Registered
1,369 Posts
I've got the portable Matco obdII abs handheld scanner. It was on sale for around 299 when I bought it last year...will pull codes out almost anything. But that's all I really use it for. If I need specifics Ill use insite, et, ddec, etc..

· Registered
200 Posts
i use autoenginuity on a laptop. basic odbii is standard, and you can buy expansions by vehicle make to get access to more sensors / systems. i like the ability to have a larger screen and data logging to XML, CSV, etc and access to more than just the engine codes (transmission, ABS, etc).

· Registered
3 Posts
A few related questions from a Jeep newb:

1) Is there anything magic about the OBDII interface on (2014) Jeeps? Does the CANBUS thing complicate the interface, or make standard OBDII tools incompatible?

2) I use AutoEnginuity (AE) on my 2001 Ford PSD to do things like changing tire sizes to recalibrate the speedometer. Any reason that won't work on a Jeep, assuming I bought the Jeep AE package?

3) I also use an ELM327 module and Torque Pro for gauges on my PSD, and Carista to change parameters on my wife's Lexus. Any reason why that wouldn't work on a Jeep? I'd hate to buy a $170 ProCal module to do something $50 worth of hardware and phone tools will do.

Mark

· Registered
3 Posts
I found the answer to my own question #3: Carista doesn't support Jeeps, or any Chrysler product, for anything other than standard OBDII stuff.

The answer to question #2 is, "No, it'll work fine, assuming you have the right AE code."

I guess that means the answer to #1 is, "No, it's pretty much like OBDII on anything else."

I'm too new to post links, but all this can be verified on Carista's and AE's sites.

Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.