JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Installed a set of $20 55w BURNERS from WalMart today, man these put off some good light. My Shrockworks stubby doesn't have lights so the wires were capped and mothballed couple years back. Brought them back to active duty today and it's really nice using the OEM wiring/relays/etc and it all be controlled via the blinker lever.

Rock-lights off, flash on, I mounted them using the OEM inner fender-bolt.

Finally added my second set this evening, pics came out a little better this time, need a tripod for night shots I guess. This set made a huge difference and got rid of most of the shadows that the fronts threw.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Looks good, but ya need like four more. Get rid of the shadows underneith for the spotter to be able to see whats goin on down there. My theory at least. Those are bright!:beer:

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Ha! that's cool Sas. Those are the same one's I am using. I only have two mounted at the rear. I need to move one up front or buy another set. I ran mine from the battery- using a lighted rocker switch and in-line fuse protection.

Note- I had a short issue. It was a terminal screw inside one of the lights. In case you have any problem with them cutting out, you might want to check there.

:beer:

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks good, but ya need like four more. Get rid of the shadows underneith for the spotter to be able to see whats goin on down there. My theory at least. Those are bright!:beer:

Looks awesome Goody, I plan on doing just that tomorrow actually, with a dedicated relay, toggle, etc. :beer:

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha! that's cool Sas. Those are the same one's I am using. I only have two mounted at the rear. I need to move one up front or buy another set. I ran mine from the battery- using a lighted rocker switch and in-line fuse protection.

Note- I had a short issue. It was a terminal screw inside one of the lights. In case you have any problem with them cutting out, you might want to check there.

Thanks Stub, will keep that in mind if they ever start cutting out.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Looks awesome Goody, I plan on doing just that tomorrow actually, with a dedicated relay, toggle, etc. :beer:
Relay is the way to go with the halogens :beer:

Speaking of which, we need to do a another night run out here, it's been forever :pissed:

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Relay is the way to go with the halogens :beer:

Speaking of which, we need to do a another night run out here, it's been forever :pissed:
What I need is a pic showing where you mounted the rears. I figure a pair needs it's own relay, so for two more pair that's two more relays, two more toggles...I need an SPOD...after West Texas Offroad hyd-assist...the list never freaking ends. I may just run a second set back there but will take your advice and strategically place them to help at least with the shadowing. Appreciate any non-illumated pics or tips as to where you placed them in the back.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
I think that 4 total is pretty sufficient- maybe not, but should make a hell of a dent on the trail. Two relays, two switches, four lights. Seems like enough....for me anyway.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
There is a really good factory supplied rear mount location, you just need to have the nuts to do it...

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Haha! You know the two studs where the ebrake cables were secured to the body tub back in the back, right there, other than that I would get some self tapping studs and pre drill a hole in the frame and use the self tapping bolts to secure the lights. If you need any help with wiring up the relay or need any electrical stuff I probably have it. I think a toggle switch that was a 3 position (on, 12v one way, and 12v another) would be a cool way to do it. Like on/off, on with switch 2 position, and switch 3 position would be to work with the interior lights like when you open the door or rotate the stalk switch for the interior light. Make sure you fuse it how ever you set it up and go for 12 ga wire for future light add ons. And if you wanted to get real creative you could throw a flasher relay inline with one of the switch positions and annoy everyone, blink, blink, blink. Lol

hope all is well with Holly and the kids, have a good memorial day!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
looks good. I got the same ones. They will break really easily though but for $20 its no big deal. They fill up with water too. haha.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
looks good. I got the same ones. They will break really easily though but for $20 its no big deal. They fill up with water too. haha.
Thanks, yeah I saw the heat vents on the casing, knew they'd fill up, my main goal was to setup a nice wiring harness, which using the stock setup worked pefect.

Rob4607 big thanks for helping me rewire the windshield lights, nice to have them working again after Ron Carter tortured my wiring. Replacing the cheapo walmart Hella's with the IPFS lights I've had for over a year sitting in the garage. All new harnesses, toggles, etc, oh and the rear rock lights will go on this evening that spot you showed me will be perfect. I owe ya a cold one :beer:

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Haha, no biggie! Whenever you need help wiring it all in let me know.

Also maybe hit up moparguy as I believe he is a dealer emoyee of some sort and may be able to get the locking clip for the tailgate lock cylinder on the cheap.

And to all you guys that have jks track bars make sure that you have the new version, it is alot straighter and is an inch shorter. I called David today of all days and he answered the phone to verify for sas that they still were doing the upgrades.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Updated my 1st post with new pics for the rears, ditched the rear inner-fender wells, wish I'd done that a long time ago, real pleased with how they turned out. You can see the before with fronts & after with the rears.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Looks great Sas. Plenty of light under your rig. I still gotta do something on the front end.

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
On my list of projects after my sPOD gets here. Looks great monkey man:beer:

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I thought Sasquatches had night vision?

lol

Looks good bro, nice work :beer:
They water proof?

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I thought Sasquatches had night vision?

lol

Looks good bro, nice work :beer:
They water proof?
Yeti's have ok night vision, but it's our extreme bacon olfactory senses that make us so night capable. They are just those $18 Burners from WalMart (55w H3s), not waterproof, primarily set them up for the wiring, did a jamup job on that so one day I'll find some good waterproof lights when these go out maybe.

i love how it lights them boggers up:drool::D
Thanks, happens to be what I enjoy as well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts